Stupid diesel regen system - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-03-2014
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

I think this post is interesting, I've read another owner was also told the dpf needed replacement because it was faulty when experiencing the dpf limp mode issue.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...8&postcount=21

If you open a ticket with Jeep Australia they may recommend it being replaced.
Old 14-03-2014
Established Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn0 View Post
I think this post is interesting, I've read another owner was also told the dpf needed replacement because it was faulty when experiencing the dpf limp mode issue.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...8&postcount=21

If you open a ticket with Jeep Australia they may recommend it being replaced.
Thanks. I've saved this post so if it happens again, I'll send it on to Jeep with a request to change it
Old 14-03-2014
RubiconSlammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
Someone on one of the other forums mentioned that the problem on some Jeeps was caused by the vehicles standing for an extended period prior to delivery or putting them on ships, so I am not sure if what he means is the vehicles standing waiting to board a ship with their engine running.
The theory is that excessive idling can result in a lot of soot gathering in the filter, without the extra acceleration there isn't pressure to passively clear the filter, and without running at highway speeds the ECU won't trigger an active burn.

But this is all BS, if you take delivery of the car, and drive it at highway speed. It should regen, and then the filter should be clear. IF the vehicle doesn't enter regen at highway speed when the filter is blocked, then there is something wrong with the regen system. If it does go into regen, then the build up during idle should now be cleared and no longer a problem.

So it is a cop out to blame delivery idling IF the car has since been driven on the highway for an extended period.
Old 14-03-2014
Established Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Yup. What confuses me at the moment is that the forced regen seems to work.
Old 14-03-2014
RubiconSlammer

Yep, are you seeing regens while driving on the highway? It will have a message saying regen in progress and a percentage of how full the filter is.

It seems that some cars are not doing the automatic regen, despite driving in the way that allows one to occur. This seems to be the problem.

I found another owner who was told they will replace his dpf:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/2014-...tml#post988490

Quote:
They said they spent a bit of time looking at the DPF to try and work out why it is not regenerating and going straight into limp mode. They reckon the DPF was assembled incorrectly from the factory and they have ordered me a complete new unit.
Sounds like this might be the next step for those that are seeing repeat dpf limp modes.
Old 14-03-2014
Established Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn0 View Post
Yep, are you seeing regens while driving on the highway? It will have a message saying regen in progress and a percentage of how full the filter is.

It seems that some cars are not doing the automatic regen, despite driving in the way that allows one to occur. This seems to be the problem.

I found another owner who was told they will replace his dpf:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/2014-...tml#post988490

Sounds like this might be the next step for those that are seeing repeat dpf limp modes.
In all my time of driving, I have yet to have a regen message appear and I've done a couple of longer drives. I.e. Melbourne to Sorrento with extensive freeway driving at 100km/h in very little traffic. The first time it occurred, I had just driven from Melbourne to Croydon and returned at 8pm at night when there was zero traffic so if it was nearing full, it had plenty of time to regen itself.

So if it happens again, I will tell them it's faulty and get them to replace it or replace the car.
Old 14-03-2014
RubiconSlammer

Do you know the build date for your car?