To GOBI or not - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-03-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purds View Post
What is the weight capacity of a BajaRack?
How much does one set you back?

They'll take a heap of weight.

Because they're not actually a "roof rack" we can only talk about capacity.

Manufacturer specifies 600lbs or 272kg of weight the rack can actually handle.

Here's the disclaimer - If you put more weight on the vehicle, especially above the roof line, it will affect the handling of the vehicle, drive to the conditions.

www.bajarackaustralia.com

P: 0405 808 738
Old 20-03-2014
Senior Newbie

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default Gobi racks

Luv my Gobi racks!
Beautifully made - room for all my extras - roof top tent and space case. Light bars at the front, with the quick releases can tip back to take off the roof - bit of a hassle admittedly.

Car parks with a 3" lift are always a problem - but I can get in just under 2.2 (without my tent!).
One of my best buys (my 2c worth)

angus

photo DSC_8521_zps5f186a63.jpg
Old 20-03-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

For the purpose of closure i did get a Gobi stealth.
It's generally a great rack and if i needed to buy another i wouldn't hesitate on the Gobi.

Having said that, I've used it 3 times since i installed it.
Due to the hassle of roof removal and the height restrictions it creates I'm considering selling it and shifting to less permanent solution.
Old 20-03-2014
Established Member

Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts

rjvines, if you have a 2-door and want to offload it,PM me!
Old 20-03-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Sorry mate, 4 door.
Old 20-03-2014
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 86 Times in 40 Posts

Interesting thread. While i think there are a lot of good roof rack options out there, let me explain why I thnk the Uneek 4x4 rack is the best rack in Aus.

When we decided to do a roof rack at Uneek we looked around at what was currently available and improved where we could and left out what we didnt like.

in our opinion we like the Gobi the best mainly for the fact it had sides to the rack to store gear and worked with hard top and soft top.

Now 9 out of 11 gobi racks i saw fitted during our investigation had similar damge to the jeep that mals posted up. Not good if you ask me, and mal sumed it up aswell body mounted front and chassis rear can cause problems, but we solved that.

However this problem can be overcome. At Uneek our rack fixes all these problems

1. Our front hoop used 10 bolts on the A pillar (Gobi 6)
2. Our front hoop is welded most of the way up the windscreen to prevent the rack hitting the windscreen with that silly tab that just dints the windscreen.
3. Our front hoop is 3.2mm thick steel, Gobi is 1.6mm
4. Our top rack is ally and half the weight (up high) than gobi
5. Our rear hoops mounts to a proper suspension 4wd suspension bush (Baja and Gobi use small hard plastic bushes) and is far enough away from the body to not need any silly tabs like Baja or Gobi to push against the body and cause fatigue to the rack or the body. Using a 4wd suspension bush we actually aim for our rack to move, that way it wont destroy itself, and being far enough way from your jeep in the back it wont touch anything.
6. Ours is made in Australia, why dont people care about that anymore?
7. No tool requied to tilt the rack back for roof pull back (quicker than Gobi's quick system, and ours is standard, and days quicker to flip back than sharpwrax)
8. Ours works with soft top and hard top. Come on Wranglers that never need a soft top belong in Canada not Australia.

Check it out

http://www.uneek4x4.com.au/jk-wrangl...ack-unlimited/
Old 20-03-2014
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Think I will throw in my 2cents worth here,
I looked around at what wa available and decided on the Uneek system as well, as some of you know I'm a mate of yankys so I had a bit of sway to supporting him and figured my cash was better in his pocket than in someone's OS, but that's not why I went for his, at first i didn't really know what I was going to chuck up there so had to look around, the gobi was ruled out pretty quick when I saw simiilar damage on jks like Mals and as much as I use mine hard i like to keep it looking good, next on the list was sharp wrax but the boss likes to alternate between hard and soft top and as good as his looks, I didn't want all the hassle of involved and also not a fan of cutting/drilling hard and sof tops, out 4x4 was also another to look at. But quickly dismissed as I wasn't about to drill holes in my hard top, I have a friend with one and his leaks, and when the hard top is off, no roof rack, so the Uneek was the answer, nice and easy to fit, super light, the wife can tilt it back one hand, with the rear bush it has enough movement to allow for body but not enough that it moves around by itself, I run a Foxwing on it permanently and also a 80 watt solar panel and still have enough room for my double swag, chainsaw and Coleman dome shade, have done a few weekends away in the high country and up Burgoynes fully loaded bouncing up rocky tracks out to the mines and had no problems with any movement or damage, the only thing i want to add is a tyre carrier above the freedom panels, hint hint yanky, I have something for you to make me
Post New Thread  Reply