1978 CJ7 - rolling rebuild - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-03-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Quadratrac

I dropped the quadra trac transfer case after checking the chain for wear. It was too worn to leave so a heap of parts were ordered. This included seals/gaskets, the special fluid for the clutch packs, vacuum actuator and a replacement chain.

There was about 50mm of builtup oil/sand and gunk on the skid plate.

Here's a photo of the rear half of the transfer case with the chain, reduction unit and sprockets removed.

The limited slip diff sprocket in the transfer case was in fair shape with the clutches good but the rear sprocket teeth worn. I need either a replacement clutch or a part-time conversion.

Here is a photo of the replacement vacuum actuator. This connects to a vacuum switch in the cab that moves the centre diff between full time 4wd with an open / limited slip diff to 4wd and a locked diff. The old unit worked but was looking pretty worn and rusty.

Here is the optional reduction unit. This is level operated.

The cleaned up and painted reduction unit shown below. The black cover hides the PTO drive.

Last edited by Scottieb; 27-03-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 27-03-2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Wheels

I fitted some 10" wide rims with 32x11.5 BFG's. These look heaps better the help get rid of the narrow axle look.

Old 27-03-2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Engine bay stuff

I've been working through a few engine bay projects as well. I fitted the Borla extractors. The Holley carb had a bad float valve that lead to a stripped float bowl. While disassembling I replaced the throttle plate due to wear in the shaft, added a near fuel bowl unit and added a morrosso throttle return spring. Needs to be turned again, but does fire up.

I had a bit of fun replacing the rocker cover as well. The old cover was rusty with bad chrome and leaked. Replacing it without stripping down all the pumping and linkages was nearly impossible. Finally stripped it and got it on just fine.

I've also fitted the power steering unit. The pump went in fine, but the steering box is tricky with the hydraulic lines wedged in a very narrow spot. I've still got a leak... I also managed to break my 3rd captive nut on the steer box mount. Time to weld again...

Here you can see the steering pump mount. It's the standard later model CJ7 setup

I'm also setup for an LPG conversion. Not a priority, but a straightforward process with used gear. There is still a rebate so the cost of the conversion is very little. The tank fits nicely behind the seats. The mixer unit is from a holden V8 and is a fairly new "New Generation" design. I brought the parts for $120 and had to send another $140 getting the tank pressure tested.

Last edited by Scottieb; 27-03-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 27-03-2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafus View Post
I have an old quaddy case which you can have for bugger all ( like a slab of beer ), as I changed to a Dana 300 in mine a couple years ago. I live on the nsw/vic boarder
Very keen on that. I dropped you a PM.

Cheers
Old 28-03-2014
LokRinger

Liked 1,769 Times in 560 Posts

Nice lot of updates there.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 30-03-2014
StaunStar

Liked 57 Times in 37 Posts

I got wood.
Looks great with those new wheels.
Old 19-05-2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wink Back to the steering - need RHD hoses

I've been playing with a few parts of the jeep. The power steering conversion has given a heap of issues around getting parts to match.

I now need some old CJ power steering hydraulic lines to rebuild. Does anyone has any lying around?

I had new lines made-up by ENZED but the convert the metric fitting to JIC before a JIC right angle. The combination to is too tall for the location and jambs into the front cross member.

Cheers
Post New Thread  Reply