Welding and Fabriction advice 101 - Page 17 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-03-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Arc-eology

Hi Murray,

I commend you on wanting to help out with those who are looking to do some metal fabrication. I am a Boilermaker by trade with just over 30 years of experience, and had many friends, family and neighbors asking me over the years '' can you teach me how to weld ? ''. I am all for knowledge sharing, but when it comes to welding most don't know that it can be deadly! I always will help some one out when they are willing to learn the tricks of Arc-eology, but as long as they stick to none structural stuff. A pair of gates, small panel rust repairs and so on, but after seeing many back yarders doing trailer repairs with chicken poo welding skills, I tend to tell people that buy a welder, go and do a short time TAFE course!

You will at least learn the safety aspects and general welding tricks that can make or break your welding project, as just because you can swing a hammer and put a nail into timber, it does not make you Bob the builder!

And for those looking to buy a MIG welder, buy a real MIG, not those gas-less jobs for sale on Ebay/Bummings! If you are half serious buy a gas MIG, sure it cost money to have that gas bottle but it gives you a much stronger weld, and is way better/easier to master. ARC/stick welders are great but harder to master, but are good for those pair of gates you wife wants you to make up, or for the odd small jobs. TIG welders are fantastic for sheet-metal work, alloy welding and so on, but it takes skills that will take some time to master!

Safety is always something to keep in mind when using a welder, and when it comes to any type of structural welding where strength is of importance, get a PRO to do the job.
Old 30-03-2014
i am the CIG

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by East-Gipsland-XJ View Post
Hi Murray,

I commend you on wanting to help out with those who are looking to do some metal fabrication. I am a Boilermaker by trade with just over 30 years of experience, and had many friends, family and neighbors asking me over the years '' can you teach me how to weld ? ''. I am all for knowledge sharing, but when it comes to welding most don't know that it can be deadly! I always will help some one out when they are willing to learn the tricks of Arc-eology, but as long as they stick to none structural stuff. A pair of gates, small panel rust repairs and so on, but after seeing many back yarders doing trailer repairs with chicken poo welding skills, I tend to tell people that buy a welder, go and do a short time TAFE course!

You will at least learn the safety aspects and general welding tricks that can make or break your welding project, as just because you can swing a hammer and put a nail into timber, it does not make you Bob the builder!

And for those looking to buy a MIG welder, buy a real MIG, not those gas-less jobs for sale on Ebay/Bummings! If you are half serious buy a gas MIG, sure it cost money to have that gas bottle but it gives you a much stronger weld, and is way better/easier to master. ARC/stick welders are great but harder to master, but are good for those pair of gates you wife wants you to make up, or for the odd small jobs. TIG welders are fantastic for sheet-metal work, alloy welding and so on, but it takes skills that will take some time to master!

Safety is always something to keep in mind when using a welder, and when it comes to any type of structural welding where strength is of importance, get a PRO to do the job.
thank you as I stated up front it is a guide and safety is the#1 rule I am 54 and started in the trade 39 years ago boiler maker 1st welder

I am now an apprentice trainer teaching welding and fabrication
critical welds should be done to a standard and procedure but advise to our friends to help them out is a good thing coz they will try it anyway

Proud member of the "She'll Be Right" Gang
yes LEZ is my brother
Old 29-04-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

Has anyone used the boc 275c smootharc welder. Or any of the latest boc offerings. Looking at buying one for the up and coming build. But unsure of which one.
Positives- cost at 1300
Heaps of grunt. 275 amps.

Negatives- mig only and not multiprocessor so will have to buy a separate tig down the track.
Button style led adjuster not dial type so would take longer to set up adjust yada yada.

Any input from the pros?
Old 29-04-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 48 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sht50 View Post
Has anyone used the boc 275c smootharc welder. Or any of the latest boc offerings. Looking at buying one for the up and coming build. But unsure of which one.
Positives- cost at 1300
Heaps of grunt. 275 amps.

Negatives- mig only and not multiprocessor so will have to buy a separate tig down the track.
Button style led adjuster not dial type so would take longer to set up adjust yada yada.

Any input from the pros?
All the brand name welders are good.
Look for the longest and best warranty.
Invert type welder will be less demanding on your home power and are just plain better regards the weld characteristics, also make life easier.
I use .9mm steel wire and the 275amp machines will put out 26 volt for a little while.
I use volt to set welders up and the 26 volt machine can work well up to 6mm material. You can weld bigger section but the fillet size will require more runs.
Old 29-04-2014
Full Flexer

Ok then the boc 200c is an inverter where as the 275c isn't would it be better off with the inverter or is the 75 extra amps worth the extra money?
Old 29-04-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 48 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sht50 View Post
Ok then the boc 200c is an inverter where as the 275c isn't would it be better off with the inverter or is the 75 extra amps worth the extra money?
The spec sheet on the 200 shows it down significantly from the 275.
The duty cycle on the 275 makes it a better buy for the home work shop.
The fillet/weld size will be about 6mm to 8mm so its going to be able to work all day on 6mm and less, which is what most people work with. The 275 machine will just love 3mm to 4mm material and still work down to heavy body panels with a wire size of .8mm if your very careful.
Old 29-04-2014
Full Flexer

Thank you very much looks like I'll be picking up a new 275c tomorrow.
Post New Thread  Reply