Strange noise.......not in my head - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-05-2014
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Arrow Strange noise.......not in my head

I've noticed a really strange noise that sounds like it's coming from my gearbox. It sounds like a rotational growling noise, only happens when at running temp and will stop when clutch is engaged. I asked this question on a FB and the answer I got was throw out bearing failure which made sense to me until I remembered I had the same noise in my XJ which was auto. I cannot remember if I had this same noise in my first TJ years ago.

I'm beginning to think it maybe a gear noise. It is quite loud outside the Jeep as well. Just want to get an idea of what I should be looking at before I take the gearbox out and find out it may not be the throw out bearing after all.

If you answered me on FB, thanks for your input.
Old 26-05-2014
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,583 Times in 4,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPCHIK View Post
I've noticed a really strange noise that sounds like it's coming from my gearbox. It sounds like a rotational growling noise, only happens when at running temp and will stop when clutch is engaged. I asked this question on a FB and the answer I got was throw out bearing failure which made sense to me until I remembered I had the same noise in my XJ which was auto. I cannot remember if I had this same noise in my first TJ years ago.

I'm beginning to think it maybe a gear noise. It is quite loud outside the Jeep as well. Just want to get an idea of what I should be looking at before I take the gearbox out and find out it may not be the throw out bearing after all.

If you answered me on FB, thanks for your input.
Probable the throw out bearing (thrust bearing), could be anything on the gearbox input. If you just put your foot on the clutch, not much pressure & not pushed down, does it go away? When you put your foot down on the clutch, does it slowly go away? Sort of slow down in pitch till it stops.
Does the noise change as you slowly increase revs?
My questions are an attempt to separate a gearbox input noise from a clutch bearing noise.
Old 26-05-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

Clutch Diagnostic Test

If you suspect that your clutch is failing, here is a self diagnostic test that anyone can perform:

1. Start your car, set the hand brake, and put the car in neutral.

2. With your car idling, listen for a growling noise without pushing the clutch in. If you hear something , its most likely a problem with the transmission. If you dont hear a noise, proceed to step three.

3. With the car still in neutral, begin to push the clutch in part way and listen for noise. If you hear a chirping noise as you press, it's most likely the clutch release, or throw-out bearing. If you don't hear a noise, proceed to step four.

4. Push the clutch all the way to the floor. If you hear a squealing noise, it's probably the pilot bearing or bushing.

If you don't hear any noise during these four steps, then your problem is probably not the clutch. If you hear the noise at idle and it goes away when the clutch is pressed, it may be an issue in the contact point between the fork and pivot ball.

the pilot bearing is not to be confused with the throw out bearing, but either way the clutch has to come out to be replaced

ps, going by what you describe, check the oil level in your gearbox for starters
Old 26-05-2014
AJOR Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonza View Post
Clutch Diagnostic Test

If you suspect that your clutch is failing, here is a self diagnostic test that anyone can perform:

1. Start your car, set the hand brake, and put the car in neutral.

2. With your car idling, listen for a growling noise without pushing the clutch in. If you hear something , its most likely a problem with the transmission. If you dont hear a noise, proceed to step three.

3. With the car still in neutral, begin to push the clutch in part way and listen for noise. If you hear a chirping noise as you press, it's most likely the clutch release, or throw-out bearing. If you don't hear a noise, proceed to step four.

4. Push the clutch all the way to the floor. If you hear a squealing noise, it's probably the pilot bearing or bushing.

If you don't hear any noise during these four steps, then your problem is probably not the clutch. If you hear the noise at idle and it goes away when the clutch is pressed, it may be an issue in the contact point between the fork and pivot ball.

the pilot bearing is not to be confused with the throw out bearing, but either way the clutch has to come out to be replaced

ps, going by what you describe, check the oil level in your gearbox for starters
Thanks Bonza, that's the kind of info I need at the moment. Gearbox has been a nit noisey since purchase but not so bad now. Was planning on flushing anyway. Will definitely do that now. I'll do the test procedures tonight. I have noticed a clicking noise from the clutch though when engaged/ disangeged.
Old 26-05-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

The clicking noise would most likely be your clutch safety switch, an easy way to check is look at the linkage inside the jeep (under the dash) and there will be a plastic barrel attached to your clutch pedal linkage, if you can slide it back and forth on the rod it's shot, they can work like this for a long time as the springs have broken in it, or it can fail without notice. we stock them if you need, 0437 440 089

www.BlackJackWelding.com.au
Old 26-05-2014
StaunStar

Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts

What year is your TJ?
Old 27-05-2014
AJOR Silver

November 2005 build Fil. I did the little test this morning when I got to work. Sat with engine at idle, noise was present ( but not last night ) pushed clutch half way in, noise was still there until clutch was just about to touch the floor. I'm still going to change gearbox fluid first to see if that makes any difference. I will check out the clutch safety switch today.