1996 XJ Issues - Trans + Stalling + Scared to turn left or right! - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,113 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-mike View Post
The car "apparently" had a reco gearbox about this time last year (according to the previous owner)
In my experience with Xj's that can mean anything from a full reco to a secondhand box....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 03-06-2014
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts

Do you have any receipts for the "reco" box? If so, and it is the box, you may be able to claim warranty. FYI I had my old box reco'd a few years ago. Full new internals plus new converter and it cost me $2300:00.

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310e using Tapatalk 2

Uncle Rastus.
Jeeps don't get stuck. They just have a little rest and think then get going again.
Old 03-06-2014
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No reciepts, i can tell its no a reco box, its all rusty and shit, bet it was a second hand box.
Old 03-06-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts

Sounds like it. Let us know what the auto guy finds out.

Uncle Rastus.
Jeeps don't get stuck. They just have a little rest and think then get going again.
Old 03-06-2014
Senior Newbie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastus2571 View Post
How is the tranny fluid level and when was it last changed? It also could be shift solenoids or valve body. As for engine dying when turning the steering, this sounds to me like low power steer fluid or dirty, but most likely cause would be a seizing power steering pump putting too much load on the engine causing it to shudder. Does the drive belt squeal when turning the wheel. That is a sure fire sign of a component seizing and loading up the engine. If Dextron Auto fluid is put into the steer fluid on the xj it causes seals to swell and restricts fluid flow. You must use genuine Mopar steer fluid.

I had problems with my OD and the whole tranny was not shifting well, felt slugish/tired, bought 3 new solenoids for $85 shipped via Ebay and fixed my tranny.
Old 03-06-2014
MonsterMoose

Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Definitly get an expert opinion on it. I didn't and pulled mine out. Now I am looking at a full rebuild regardless of the prob because I don't have time to pull it back out in 6-12 months time if a prob occurs again. It is pretty hard to diagnose mine now it's not in the vehicle. IMO I reckon its worth chucking in a set of solinoids as they are not exi and it might just fix the prob, wish I did..

Regards A
Old 03-06-2014
Senior Newbie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonygubbin View Post
Definitly get an expert opinion on it. I didn't and pulled mine out. Now I am looking at a full rebuild regardless of the prob because I don't have time to pull it back out in 6-12 months time if a prob occurs again. It is pretty hard to diagnose mine now it's not in the vehicle. IMO I reckon its worth chucking in a set of solinoids as they are not exi and it might just fix the prob, wish I did..

Regards A
When things started to play up with my tranny I did a full service, fluid/filter, did not do much, so after doing research on the net, and on feedback on here I thought $85 is a small fee as to compared maybe a full reco tranny, and damn I got lucky! Trans shifts spot on, and my trans cooler is way cooler as well, I also did the trans cable kickdown adjustment, it was way off.
Post New Thread  Reply