Bloody DW's at 17,000km - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-08-2014
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 74 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench View Post
Hey Greg thats a good outcome.
We all like to bag the dealers but I have only had good experiences with Sunco at Maroochydore as well. They have never argued and always carried out warranty repairs as required. I was happy to let them fit OE balljoints and see how they last.
I can't say anything but good things about Bunbury Auto Group either, went in the other day because the wipers would run whenever they chose to and the sorted it (hopefully) plus found the rubber boot on my outer drag link BJ was stuffed so parts are on order.
Old 29-08-2014
AJOR Gold

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdingerslammer View Post
Had the Track bar, drag link and tie rod changed over yesterday. Not a skerrick of movement at the track bar at all!! Prior, I reckon 5mm or more back and forth... quite a lot anyway. Synergy adjustable TB now in place and Mopar other bits with 9/16th" bolts used instead of fully threaded OE ones. Will see how it all goes as time passes re the DW thing. I bought the 9/16th bolts from a nut and bolt place for about $25 for 10 including spring washers and nylock nuts. 3" (75mm) long r perfect.

As long as they are UNC or UNF grade 8 (metric needs to be higher grade)

Old 29-08-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

All are grade 12 UNC
Old 30-08-2014
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

I had DW (twice, repeatable on the same bit of road) after lifting 2.5", pretty much expected it at some point. Put in the AEV caster correction brackets and it's all gone, drives better than before and solid as a rock, drop brackets were also the ultimate solution for the XJ. Basically there are many contributing factors to DW and when I was sorting it on my XJ (with 5" of lift) getting the caster correct was the primary resolution. In saying that I have ordered some 9/16 bolts etc for the trackbar, more as preventative maintenance than anything else.

Cheers
Steve
Old 30-08-2014
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

That sounds more like bump shimmy from the low caster than DW. I've had that. It would settle out after a few seconds, though, whereas DW you have to almost stop to shut it down.

If it was DW, though, it will be back! Because DW is lateral suspension oscillation and the caster, while a contributing factor and trigger, won't be the ultimate cause. (Though, you may have nailed it with the 9/16th bolts.)
Old 30-08-2014
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
That sounds more like bump shimmy from the low caster than DW. I've had that. It would settle out after a few seconds, though, whereas DW you have to almost stop to shut it down.

If it was DW, though, it will be back! Because DW is lateral suspension oscillation and the caster, while a contributing factor and trigger, won't be the ultimate cause. (Though, you may have nailed it with the 9/16th bolts.)
Started as a shimmy and escalated in to full blown DW, believe me I'm familiar with it, my XJ (5" on 35's, big heavy tyres) got it so bad once it broke the trackbar, sorted that though. The 14mm bolts may have ultimately been the cause but I never hit a situation that brought it on until the change in caster, fix the caster and DW went away. Of course it may be back hence the change to the 9/16 bolts, although they are not in yet.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-09-2014
AJOR Bronze

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Dropped my car off this morning to get the ball joints replaced under warranty. Will see if that fixes the issue.

Will keep you all updated on the outcome. Sounds like there is multiple possible culprits. I will just go through me each, one by one. Info on this thread from everyone has been handy. I now have a check list I can work through until it gets sorted....