aw4 dropping gears, chunks in filter - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-09-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

To partially strip mine down ie, remove the clutch and rear housing and inspect was going to set me back 500-600 plus the torque converter which was 350 I think. I said to rebuild mine because of the trouble it was to get it out and back in again. I hope to never touch it again so went all out. Like LB said mine wasn't slipping hence it was clean inside. IMO you will also need a new cooler unless you have some way to clear it out. If you are going to keep driving it that's up to you just be aware that it could go completely while your on the highway doing 100 clicks. When it does go and it will, it will be a flat bed so make sure you have roadside assist.

Regards A
Old 15-09-2014
MonsterMoose

Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanshi View Post
If its gonna cost over 1000 to get any where near rebuilding it it will be binned any way, no way will we bother rebuilding it.
Your's will be well over 2k because of the time its gonna take to strip it completely and clean it out.

Regards A
Old 15-09-2014
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

its unregistered, its a race car and will never see the road so if it dies it will be towed back to the trailer and towed home.

If i can find a gearbox at the right price that's gonna last another 12 months then i'll work on swapping it.

as it is the rest of the car is getting junked by racing it so it will be lucky to last another season.
Old 15-09-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,113 Times in 693 Posts

I've organised a recently recoed one for you if you're interested, I've pm'ed the details to you....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 15-09-2014
Established Member

Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts

You will have to replace the cooler and the (TC) torque converter. There is no getting around this or you will ruin your replacement 'box. There is no way of cleaning out the TC short of splitting & rewelding and the cooler clearly is a maze of pipes all waiting to block flow then spit contamination into your solenoids and oil galleries. This is the reason cleanliness caution is always advised for auto 'boxes. Lots of small orifices. Bite the bullet now if you want hassle free racing in the future. Good luck.
Old 22-09-2014
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks to JJ a replacement box is in. the replacement had a dead solenoid in it but this was swapped for a working one before fitment.

tonights job is to fit a new front diff housing containing an airlocked diff.

then finish the rest of the small jobs ready to race king of the park in 2 weeks
Old 22-09-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,113 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanshi View Post
thanks to JJ a replacement box is in. the replacement had a dead solenoid in it but this was swapped for a working one before fitment.

tonights job is to fit a new front diff housing containing an airlocked diff.

then finish the rest of the small jobs ready to race king of the park in 2 weeks
You're welcome....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Post New Thread  Reply