Adjustable panhard rods - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Technical
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2014
I bought A Jeep!....groan

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Adjustable panhard rods

Hi everyone, with my 06 tj I've installed a 2.5" Rancho lift kit which included a rear par hard rod lowering bracket. The kit also included gas charged steering damper. After the install the road handling was less than impressive, since then I competed in a 7 day rally event which did a far bit of damage to the suspension, that included breaking the rear panhard mount off the diff twice. After repairing the tj and getting a wheel alinement it now pulls to the right and the steering wheel sits off centre. Could this be due to the standard p/rods on the lift plus the gas damper always pushing out on the drag link? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 06-10-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I would be getting an adjustable front panhard for sure to re centre your diff. Have you got adjustable control arms?
Old 06-10-2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi, thanks for having a look. No I don't have those fitted. I was thinking about getting a pair of adjustable p/hard rods, front and rear.

Old 06-10-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 82 Times in 69 Posts

If your serious, Tri-Link the rear & remove the panhard rod. Some Jeeps do well with the return to centre steering dampers, although I don't run 1 myself. The wheel steering wheel should have been adjusted by the alignment shop, but you can adjust it yourself easily. The steering arm running from the steering box to the tie rod bar is length adjustable. Simply loosen the 2 clamps & adjust it to centre the steering wheel & re-tighten the clamps. Loosen off the panhard rod lower bolt, bounce the suspension a bit & retighten the bolt. Every Jeep is different, but I'd be surprised if you needed an adjustable panhard with a modest lift.
Old 06-10-2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for that, I'll give that ago in a couple of days. The shop in question said I might do better going elsewhere. I was thinking about going to a 4" lift, does anyone have any experience with "TeraFlex" setups? I already have a slip yoke setup on the transfer case.

Last edited by Jarrett; 06-10-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-10-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 82 Times in 69 Posts

That was good of them to admit their work was shit. Are you talking long arm or short arm with your kit?
Old 08-10-2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was thinking adjustable control arms using the original mounts, what do you think? The kit I'm looking at comes with 8 adjustable arms plus adjustable panhard rods and longer brake lines. On the alignment problem I found my rear panhard mount (diff end) was out by a centimetre. In our haste to get racing we botched the correct location when refitting it. Ground it off today and I'll weld it back on tomorrow. I should be able to get the right spot by bolting it to the rod and having the jeep sit at normal ride height, with a couple of measurements (I hope).