Suspension ideas please. - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-10-2014
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Just plug your model, year and engine into Rockauto's website and then it will list all the compatible ones for you. Read the item descriptions for the appropriate ones. i.e. LH/RH Upper; LH/RH Lower.

The ones I used for my 1999 WJ V8 are:

LH and RH Upper: MOOG Part # AMGK3134T (2 of these @$26.73ea);

LH and RH Lower: MOOG Part # AMGK3185 (2 of these @$24.16ea);

The ones listed as "Problem Solver" are adjustable for camber/caster issues, so unless yours has the pulling to the left/LH front outside edge tyre wear issue (search on here if you want to know more about this) then just get the ones I listed.

There is also a rear upper ball joint as well (MOOG Part # AMGK7450 @$68.32) that you may as well get if it's coming from the same warehouse - it will tell you where items are coming from (warehouse A, B, C etc.) in the checkout. May also be worth considering the tie rod ends as well whilst you're at it......where does it stop!!

Rockauto's postage can be a little high if you get things from multiple warehouses, but if you tailor your order it works out to be pretty reasonable and will hit your doorstep in usually 3-6 days.
Old 19-10-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Scratch that, I think I figured it out. I have Upper part # MOOG AMGK3134T http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...14&cc=1381452f and lower part# MOOG AMGK3185 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...386&cc=1381452
**Edit** Whoops just saw Hanna's post..... Thanks for that fellas.
Old 19-10-2014

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

SO what have you blokes used to press them out and back in? I've got a s/hand OTC ball joint press on a watch on fleabay. It's either that or pluck the diff, strip it and take it to somebody to press them in?
Old 19-10-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Yeah I used a ball joint press kit similar to the one you're describing (I think?) which I got new off Amazon for about $130 from memory. It is not too hard to do once you get everything off the steering knuckle, but there's a specific order you need to remove/install them. There are a couple of really good videos on YouTube which show you, I think one is for a D30 on an XJ or ZJ.

If you're not going to do it yourself you'd better off taking the whole car in to a mechanic to get the ball joints replaced. Removing the whole diff just to get a couple of ball joints pressed out/in is craziness!!

Good luck.
Old 19-10-2014

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Taking the Jeep in to have the balljoints replaced is going to be way more expensive than what a press will cost, it's not so much a matter of craziness removing the diff as money is a bit tight atm and I have to get the roadworthy finalised. $30-40 and a couple of hours removing the diff might be a bit more achievable than spending the dollars on a suitable press. The heater core looks like it's going to be the biggest cost atm which is sort of pleasing in comaprison to what Pedders said needed replacing.

Last edited by wobblygts; 25-10-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 19-10-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Yes, of course buying your own ball joint press will be a more economical way to replace your ball joints, and is doable in an afternoon by yourself. Plus you have the press there the next time you need it for this car or any other job requiring a press.

The point I am making is that it's a hell of a lot of work to take the whole front axle out and take it somewhere to have the ball joints pressed out/in (probably a whole day) when it may only save you $50 over the cost of the press. If you took your whole car and ball joints to a steering/suspension place to install it may take them 2-3hrs tops which would be maybe $150-250. Is your time not worth that?

If money is tight I would be purchasing the press. The less people touching your car, the cheaper it will be and less chance of one of those nasty surprise bills where they say "When we took part X off, we realised part Y was stuffed so we replaced that for you as well". You always have mobile mechanics and/or removing the front axle as a back-up if things happen to go pear-shaped, but provided you follow the YouTube videos and have half an idea when it comes to mechanics I reckon you will be right.

Just my 2c.
Old 19-10-2014
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

If you are going to buy a press make sure you buy the extra adapters so you can get the balljoints out.

This is the part I'm talking about:

Pulling the axles and other bits off is an easy part of the job, pulling and installing the balljoints is a bugger of a job though. I'd be inclined to source the parts and get someone else to do it if you are unsure.

Jason
Post New Thread  Reply