XJ: Mercedes Diesel --> Jeep Cherokee - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2014
EL CAPITANO DESTRUCTO

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,911 Times in 804 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I looked into this
Even have a merc motor....

The ssangyong musso motor is a better option imho as it has a rear sump...

And plentiful in Australia.

My 2c.
Old 13-09-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts

What stopped you?

I've never even heard of that motor. Just googled it and i've never even seen that car.
Old 13-09-2014
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,584 Times in 4,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler33 View Post
Awesome build - I've been reading a lot about this engine swap for the past week. The OM617A (turbo) is a bullet proof engine and fits into the XJ like a glove. There are a lot of resources online to help you with this build.

My research lead me to conclude that it's not a good build option in Australia as they only imported OM617 from the Merc 300D not the turbo charged TD or SD so it's just the plain old diesel (BOO!). There are a couple TD's floating around but at the price, you could drop a Hemi in.

I'm looking into other options for a build idea cause I just love the sound of a diesel engine + the turbo spool <3

Good luck and I want to see more about this build!
The reason for no turbo 617's was because they are RH drive & the power steering is very close to where the hot end of the turbo would be. MB didnt make RH drive turbo 617's.
A 603 turbo or a 606 would be interesting. Much lighter engines. The 603 turbo didnt find its way into RH drive either.
BTW a TD is a diesel wagon. I have one.
Old 13-09-2014
Full Flexer

Picked up the ax15 tonight. There's a huge jeep rally over here tomorrow (Great American Jeep Ralley) guy was going to it, wanted spending cash, so he sold me it for $300 instead of $350. Could've waited and got one later for cheaper but I'm happy to have one. One step closer. Now the motor to tranny adapter and the jeep.

He even gave me a practically brand new clutch and all the hardware.

Old 10-11-2014
Full Flexer

Busy as a bee recently. Bought some stuff though. Put the jeeps on the backburner for now as I really want my van running as my daily driver.

Picked up;

-1985 Jeep Cherokee. It's the 2.5 carbureted 5 speed. Paid $480
for it. Not the best shape, but for an 85 I can't complain.

Also bought another 99 cherokee limited for $1,000. Thing is gorgeous. Cleanest XJ I've ever seen. Not a spec of rust on it. Selling my silver jeep and going to keep the red one and put the money made from that sale into parts.

Oh, and that trailer - I bought that too. Haha.

Last edited by ApacheResistance; 10-11-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-11-2014
Full Flexer

Oh, and I got sick of having to go to work to weld things. Been thinking about buying a nice welder for a while now so finally did.

Went through the great debate of what to buy, how much to spend, yata yata yata. Really only wanted to spend around $1,000 but figured if I'm 18 now, and I'm welding until the day I croak, chances are the $1,000 welder will need to be upgraded again down the road so it's worth it to pony up the cash now and do it once and be done.

Bought a millermatic 252. Capable of 1/2" in a single pass. Retails for $2800. Managed to catch a 30% flash sale at zoro and practically stole it for $1750.

Welder should be here tomorrow.

Went ahead and wired up two 50a 220v outlets. One for the plasma, one for the welder. Wired with 6awg. Overkill, but hey, that's how I like doing things.

Now I have a nice spot to work on my rigs as its starting to get cold and the snows about to start flying.

Decided I'm going overkill with this jeep. All out. Chopping it like crazy, cage, tons, rear coils, yata yata I'm excited.

Old 12-11-2014
Full Flexer

Welder showed up today. Also bought another 98 cherokee. 5 spd.