What have you done to your JK this week? 2.5M Views - Page 1258 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts

made this

CRDJK
Old 12-11-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 36 Times in 20 Posts

your an ideas man maxljq
Old 13-11-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 584 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepha900 View Post
Put 1200kms on her driving to Coffs Harbour and back again with the family (from Sunshine Coast). Will definitely upgrade the suspension for a smoother ride though - a little rough in parts. Question though, did a u-turn and drove over a small concrete garden edge and heard a small "clunk" in the left front, later on driving down the road and heard an even bigger "clunk" from a similar area.. Steering wasnt affected and no noticeable changes to driving performance. Drove all the way home without any issues but maybe i should get it checked out?!?
I'd be jacking it up and having a look.....
Old 13-11-2014
Senior Newbie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Put 1200kms on her driving to Coffs Harbour and back again with the family (from Sunshine Coast). Will definitely upgrade the suspension for a smoother ride though - a little rough in parts. Question though, did a u-turn and drove over a small concrete garden edge and heard a small "clunk" in the left front, later on driving down the road and heard an even bigger "clunk" from a similar area.. Steering wasnt affected and no noticeable changes to driving performance. Drove all the way home without any issues but maybe i should get it checked out?!?
Ball Joint failure world record???
Old 13-11-2014
Full Flexer

Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
There is a circular crossmember which protrudes through the chassis rail near the swaybar. The swaybar can make contact with it when the suspension compresses making a clunking sound.
Old 13-11-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Got the hard top winch mounted up, just need to make some brackets to attach the ropes to the hard top.

Bracket to mount it on is 2mm steel C channel with the lips of the C sliced off, then bolted to the top rail, the vertical studs and the truss.

Winch is then bolted to the bracket, the top two bolts through the top rail of the frame as well.

Ended up doubling the wire rope from the winch, not for strength but for speed (or lack there of). Single pull is 10m per minute and double pull drops that down to 5m per minute. Means it will take about 15 seconds from vehicle height to roof storage height.

The knot in the middle is not permanent! Simply for testing, once I get the right lengths for the ropes I will splice a loop in them.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 13-11-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Synergy are exactly the same. They all need to allow for vertical movement in the top ball joint, its just the way the vehicle is designed with the bottom ball joint supporting the entire load. It not only allows for build discrepancies it also allows for flex in the C which will happen under load.

Personally after seeing the Teraflex ones with the adjustable preload for when they do wear I will be going with them for what I think will be a very long term solution.

The Alloy USA ones are also advertised as an adjustable preload, however, this is a factory adjusted preload then locked in place by hammering a dint or two in the top of the thread, whereas the Teraflex is adjusted then locked in place by a few grub screws so can be adjusted at a later stage if/when required and whilst still fully installed (you can see this in the still pic of the video above).

Alloy USA:

Not bashing the others or a raving Teraflex fan (in fact returned one of the two Teraflex products I ever bought as it had a massive design flaw!), I just think for long term they seem the best solution.
Hi Seacomms, thanks for that!
I will EAT SHIT on this one. My JKU had a slight clunk in the front end when hitting sharp bumps. I took it to DBOR One of the guys jacked up the front LHS, put a plank under the tyre, and showed me the vertical movement in the top ball joint."YOUR BALL JOINTS ARE ROOTED" he said. I bought new ones as my car had 110K on the clock and normal ball joints do not do this.
The clunk is still there. Oh well, at least i have synergys.

GET STUFFED DBOR. I wont be back.
Post New Thread  Reply