Calling GC SRT owners - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-11-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts

I too am a convert to the diesel family for towing, so I can't directly answer your question.
But for comparisons sake, my previous tow/family car was a Ford Territory Ghia turbo.
I had that tuned to around 300-320kw and it would have made around 600nm torque, so similar numbers to the SRT.
Towing my 2T boat returned 18-19lt/100 and towing my 2.4T caravan returned 23-24lt/100.
Now I should clarify that I don't baby my tow vehicles when towing. I will always sit on the speed limit and I always keep up with traffic, as I can't stand being a mobile road block.

Cheers.
CSA Raptors
Old 29-11-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My last 3 cars have been diesel.
Wh grand cherokee
gu patrol
currently have a 3l v6 td navara.

But i no longer go offroad and want another V8. But would like something that can still tow when i need to.

Dont get me wrong i know diesels are much better for towing.

But less fun to drive.

Thats quite a bit of fuel usage but i bet it was great to drive when you weren't towing?
Old 29-11-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 40 Times in 18 Posts

LOL 20L per 100kms towing. My SRT gets that city driving when given a hard time (and sometimes worse).

Had a 700L signature that weighed in at 2.5t and it was 22 to 25l per 100Kms.

Fixed it by selling the signature and buying a 45ft Sea Ray that is at moored so no more towing the boat only the jet ski now and the weighs nothing.

If you are worried about the fuel consumption maybe a V8 SRT isn't for you if not go for it.

I had 5 Kenworth semis ranging from 550 to 620hp right up on there weights getting anywhere from 2.2 to 2.4kms per ltr @ 45T doing local/city work so the SRT isn't that bad.

The way I see it is I like my V8's so thats how it is.
Old 29-11-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not to concerned about fuel usage.
Just wanted to make sure when i put 3t behind it is going to tow it with out a drama.

I reckon i have already made my mind anyway.
just have to wait till January tho.
Old 29-11-2014
Jeepin' is incurable....

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun 4x4 View Post
What is an ultimate?

Will check that site out.
Thanks
Think he probably means the Summit. It's a newish model that sits above the Limited. Mostly schmicko stuff (trims and what nots) so it looks like a SRT at first glance but has the diesel motor and lacks sporty stuff but has the real 4WD.

Towing fuel consumption depends on what you tow and how you drive.

We have had multiple caravans over past 12 years and towed them all over Australia. Weights from 1T to current van 3.5T. My experience/rule of thumb is that for every tonne add 30% to average highway fuel economy. Thus a 3T towing will add close to 90% to non towing highway consumption. Since claimed SRT8 is 14l/100km, and real world is 15-16 then you'll be looking at about 28s for 3T. We've just completed 30,000kms around the block towing 3.5T and averaged exactly 15l/100 km. V8 Landcruiser drivers were talking 24-26 with vans under 3T
Post New Thread  Reply