JK: 6.4 Hemi - Page 17 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Gday Chris
Sorry about the long wait, I rarely use this forum now so I only check it once in a blue moon. I know I sent you a pm but thought this could be handy to others as well, plus some others might be able to pitch in with some info.

I think you are getting confused with the ls engines which are chevy and the lx which is chrysler/dodge.

I got the 6.4 lx hemi in the truck configuration, which means the alternator is up high and the air manifold intake is vertical. The 6.4 hemi car configuration has the alternator down low and the air intake manifold coming out the front. This configuration is slightly wider and will make it harder to fit. The actual engine is the same, it is just the front accessory configuration that changes.

As far as I know burnsville offroad went out of business, though I believe he has another company called dakota customs. I have herd aev do RHD kits as a few aussie blokes have used them through a company called Jeep Konnection in australia, but I personally haven't seen what their finished product looks like.
Personally I would just ask for the engine, gearbox, wiring harness/computer, chassis mounts for engine and transmission and maybe the radiator. The rest can be done with locally sourced companies or summit racing (online car parts store).

The reason the stock exhaust manifolds didn't fit was because the manual gearbox has the engine starter box in the way. Even with an auto transmission you will have to chop the flange off the exhaust manifold and weld it back on at a different angle.

The stock oil filter does get in the way of either the upper control arm mount and/or the pitarm on the steering box. I bought a remote oil filter kit off summit racing which fixed it. On page 7 you can see where I relocated it to.

Hopefully this helps somewhat!
Old 05-03-2015
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply.

What I am worried about is that my alternator will hit the steering gear. Would you mind taking a look at my pic and tell me what you think please.
You can see it's a 2nd hand engine but I intend to have it opened and completely serviced.

Last edited by French Chris; 05-03-2015 at 01:38 AM.
Old 05-03-2015
Established Member

Oooh thats looks like it will be close. If you can provide a measurement from the centre of the engine (use the centre of the crank pulley but inline with alternator) to the outside edge of your alternator and I will use that measurement on mine to see if it will clear. Hope that made sense

Not too much of a drama anyway and a simple bracket can be made up to relocate to the top
Old 05-03-2015
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by king bogan View Post
Oooh thats looks like it will be close. If you can provide a measurement from the centre of the engine (use the centre of the crank pulley but inline with alternator) to the outside edge of your alternator and I will use that measurement on mine to see if it will clear. Hope that made sense

Not too much of a drama anyway and a simple bracket can be made up to relocate to the top
Yes that makes perfect sense, thanks for checking for me. Unfortunately I can't do that until Saturday as I am at work today and Friday.

My heart is going to stop until you tell me if it's ok or not !

Your idea of a bracket to relocate the Alternator higher is brilliant but I wonder where.

I will send you that measure on Saturday morning so it will be Sturday evening for you.

I really appreciate your help.
Old 07-03-2015
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by king bogan View Post

Hi King Bogan,

I went to take the required measurement this morning so from the outer edge of the Alternator to the centre of the Crank pulley I read 325mm so to be on the safe side I would say if there isn't 330mm on yours then I am in serious trouble.

Your idea of making a bracket to relocate the Alternator to the Top is a good one but I can't see where as the Alternator is not small and in my modest opinion it is very likely to interfere with something else.

I enclose a pic with the water pump, Alt and PS Pump temporarily in place.

There is another OZ guy called JKRoad who suggested to replace the Timing cover with a Ram cover and buy the auxiliary equipment that goes with it.

That's also a good idea but I am sure I read somewhere that Ram 5.7 Timing cover doesn't fit the Jeep 5.7 engine Block.

If someone could confirm this for me I would be very grateful too.

Last edited by French Chris; 07-03-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-03-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 130 Times in 82 Posts

I got the 6.4 lx hemi in the truck configuration, which means the alternator is up high and the air manifold intake is vertical. The 6.4 hemi car configuration has the alternator down low and the air intake manifold coming out the front. This configuration is slightly wider and will make it harder to fit. The actual engine is the same, it is just the front accessory configuration that changes
Old 08-03-2015
Established Member

Just measured it and the alternator wont fit. The truck configuration will bolt on and you can probably keep your accessories as they should be interchangeable.
On page 5 is how mine looks with the alternator up high .