Safety Recall N23 for WH anyone had it done yet? - Page 108 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Thank you everyone for the info on the codes,not that you need glow plugs here at the moment but i cleared the codes then ran some errants with a few stops along the way and when i got home put the scanner on to see if codes had come back,all clear if you did not have the N23 recall done,can you get the problem that needs the recall to fix Just trying to work out my next step for the service 4wd system light.
Old 02-02-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
If you did not have the N23 recall done,can you get the problem that needs the recall to fix
Just trying to work out my next step for the service 4wd system light.
Nar not really, the real problem that N23 was supposed to prevent was the transfer case shifting into neutral unexpectedly.
Due to how various logic pathways interact in the FDCM and PCM, it was only really possible to happen when the car is started with a remote starter module (which wasn't an option in Aus.).

I haven't had the N23 and was concerned that it may shift into neutral at a bad time, like climbing offroad. But I haven't seen any reports of it happening to anyone (even when stationary.), and from studying the logic documented in the service manual pretty closely it seems very unlikely.

But to make it a bit trickier, the reason that the problem of shifting into neutral (which N23 tried to prevent.) could exist in the first place, is that the position sensor in the transfer case actuator (which shifts between high, neutral and low.) gives a varying signal (just a resistance.) as it ages, corrodes, wears, heats, cools, etc.

Basically the pre-N23 firmware could think that the actuator is in a different position than it really is, and shift incorrectly.
The N23 update protected from shifting incorrectly by (basically) just "narrowing" the range of allowable values from the position sensor and adding an extra check.
If the position is outside of this new allowable range, the error code is raised.

So in some ways, a "fix" could be to replace the transfer case actuator - Which is what most dealers tried to do initially (and many charged for it.).
In fact the actuator is fine in most cases, it's only the integrated position sensor which is technically "bad"... but since the first one went "bad", the new ones will eventually do the same thing (sometimes immediately, since most of them were old stock.).
It's a perfectly acceptable margin of error in my opinion (for the type of component that it is.).

Anyway, this means that you may eventually need a new transfer case actuator anyway (whether you have N23 or not.), but I don't think it's happened to anyone yet.
If I ever have problems, I'll just be opening it up and attempt to recondition the position sensor before replacing the whole actuator.

The most correct fix from Chrysler would've been to issue a redesigned actuator with a serviceable or HALL effect position sensor.
Or even come up with a TSB routine to service the existing "sealed" unit. But they just tried to cheap their way out with a software update.
Old 06-02-2015
Established Member

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts

My update on my N23 saga. Please see my previous post (#728 & #711).

So I found the time to take my car back to Jeep last Tuesday so as they could try reprogramming the brand new FDCM they had installed that had the wrong part number.

Thankfully Brad is now back from holidays (whom I am able to talk sense with). When he was made aware that the part number was wrong he agreed that it was a waste of time trying to reprogram it. They still had the original FDCM they had removed from my car. Brad asked the other service guy if the 7/29 reflash had been performed on my original FDCM. I informed Brad that they did not reflash my FDCM the last time I had my car there and that I believe that we should put my original FDCM back in the car and reflash it exactly as per the 7/29 TSB that I had already printed out and had a copy of with me. Brad agreed so we ripped up the back street and removed the FDCM with the wrong part number and reinstalled my original FDCM.

The service tech then reflashed my FDCM as per the 7/29 TSB exactly step by step. and guess what, it worked.

So finally after convincing them that the 7/29 TSB has to be followed to the letter, I now have 4Lo back.

Unfortunately the very next day tragedy struck (See my thread - My Sad Story).
Old 21-03-2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default No 4lo

So 12mths or so ago I had the the recall as specified. Had no problems on my next off road venture but haven't been off road in the past 12mths until last week-end and found I had no 4Lo just the message ""service 4wd system" .

Reading some of your experiences and frustrations I thought I was pretty lucky to avoid the problem but.........

Any advise on how to approach the dealer after this time has lapsed??
Old 21-03-2015
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYA View Post
So 12mths or so ago I had the the recall as specified. Had no problems on my next off road venture but haven't been off road in the past 12mths until last week-end and found I had no 4Lo just the message ""service 4wd system" .

Reading some of your experiences and frustrations I thought I was pretty lucky to avoid the problem but.........

Any advise on how to approach the dealer after this time has lapsed??
Just ask the local dealer for the latest FDCM flash Technical Service Bulletin number 7/29. If they are unaware of it ask them to make enquiries with Jeep HQ. Should be as simple as that
Old 21-03-2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you Clarky ....I hope you're right...would like like it back to normal for Easter wheeling/camping
Old 15-06-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default P73???

Hi guys, I had a final update done in July last year and it FINALLY fixed my n23 problem after 7 return trips to the dealer. It's been working for almost a year no problems... Well last week I went in for a service and for the first time didn't say 'don't flash it, don't touch it, just service it!' And they've gone and performed the P73 recall ..... Which I've since discovered is the latest recall update for the N23... Except it f$cked it and my service 4wd drive is back!!! And lo won't work..!!!! FFS!!! Has anyone had a this done and did it cause a problem ?? If not, maybe don't get it done. I've now moved 1 hr from town which means getting to / from jeep and work will be a nightmare. Should I get them to perform the July 2014 update again???
Post New Thread  Reply