Quadralift suspension topping out frequently - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2015
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default Quadralift suspension topping out frequently

I just got back from Easter in the Vic high country - this was the first time I've had the MY15 Overland off road, having done many of the same tracks in the MY14 Limited (non-QL) previously..

While I can see the appeal of the QL in some instances, I have to say I was disappointed with how easily the suspension tops out. This occurred in OR1 on anything other than a graded dirt road. It also occurred in Normal without trying too hard and makes for a pretty uncomfortable ride. I don't recall ever topping out the normal suspension in the Ltd. Based on this experience I'll question the value of the QL next time I change over (I don't tow..).

I think I know the answer, but is there any potential for longer travel shocks (if that is what is needed) or does the integration with the air bag make this a non-option?

I know some (one?) of the lift kits for the non-QL models include 'anti top-out plates' or similar - curious as to what exactly this part is and how it prevents top out?

On a positive note, the benefit of the QDII tricky rear diff was evident, although somewhat negated by the transmission not holding manually selected gears as it should. I know there was an update for the MY14s to fix this - I need to check if it also applies to the newer model.
Old 08-04-2015
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I remember the first time I took mine offroad I put it straight in offroad 2 and within 10 metres I thought my Jeep was broken with all the loud thudding going on and turned around and went home.

I use offroad 1 mostly now and it's a hell of a lot better but sometimes the thudding can be a bit annoying. For the ~5% my Jeep spends offroad it's not a deal breaker but if I do upgrade to a future Jeep I will take it into consideration if they haven't made improvements.

I wonder if the disco 4 air suspension bang and carry on like our do? I'd guess no.

When I pull up at the lights next to a jacked up 4x4 and I'm riding low in sport mode sometimes I jack mine up to offroad 2 to amuse myself.
Old 09-04-2015
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Yeah I get that it's a small compromise for the limited time you're actually off-road, just interested to find it worse than the non-QL model in normal height..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16-04-2015
I just registered

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

I believe the fix for the my14 was for when in sports mode. Wont help for in low range with the QL.
Had the same issues with the QL and also thr holding gear as when it kicks into second or third you loose momentum for a second and then traction.
Old 17-04-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by churbrew View Post
I remember the first time I took mine offroad I put it straight in offroad 2 and within 10 metres I thought my Jeep was broken with all the loud thudding going on and turned around and went home.

I use offroad 1 mostly now and it's a hell of a lot better but sometimes the thudding can be a bit annoying. For the ~5% my Jeep spends offroad it's not a deal breaker but if I do upgrade to a future Jeep I will take it into consideration if they haven't made improvements.

I wonder if the disco 4 air suspension bang and carry on like our do? I'd guess no.

When I pull up at the lights next to a jacked up 4x4 and I'm riding low in sport mode sometimes I jack mine up to offroad 2 to amuse myself.
Same, I had it off road the 2nd day I owned it and thought it was broken already... I also mainly use offroad 1 and only hit the button again when required. I fitted new tyres and picked up another 20mm of height which has made offroad 1 even better.

I had a Disco 3 previous to the Jeep, it never topped out and it had much better wheel travel compared to the Jeep, to be honest the Landrover suspension is significantly better all round. I still love my Jeep though.
Post New Thread  Reply