Info / picture request from diesel JK Wrangler - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-08-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Info / picture request from diesel JK Wrangler

Hi All,

My name is Dan, I'm an Aussie currently building a Jeep to go around Africa in the United States. We're putting a Merc 3.0 TD in place of the 3.8 gas engine, and I've got a request from you guys with diesel JK Wranglers.

JKs do not exist here in diesel, so I can't get these answers for myself.

I have found a way to order whatever parts from a diesel wrangler that I need though (it's a long story)

I'd like to understand (pictures or description) the front cooling package, because I'd like to have one as close to OEM as possible, rather than bolt a generic intercooler on the front frankenstyle.
I know the radiator / intercooler / A/C condenser / oil cooler (if auto) can all be unbolted and removed as one entire unit - that's the unit I'm interested in.
How are they all held together? does the rad have tabs/clips/brackets that the other items then bolt onto, or are there mounting brackets for each of them separately?

I'm wondering if I need to order all of them to build the entire OEM cooling package, or if I can just order the intercooler, and add it into the cooling package that I already have from the 3.8.

Also, can someone please tell me in what order they are stacked? (I can't find good pictures) - does it go
engine-rad-ac-oil-intercooler-frontgrill ?

If anyone has time to shove their camera in there and take some pics I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
-Dan
Old 18-08-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts

The stock cooling system is arguably undersized. I wouldn't necessarily be copying it without thinking about better options.

Intercooler is at the front, then air con, then radiator with transmission cooler integrated.

Extra transmission cooler are often added above the intercooler as it is shorter than the radiator or in front of if.

I don't think it all comes out as one unit. Maybe it is possible but I don't know why you would do that, certainly not going to be any easier.

The air con lines make removing things difficult.

You should be able to find a few pictures online of a jk without the grill on.

Sorry I an not going to take mine off. I would have to remove my winch.

I would suggest running a completely separate transmission cooler and not integrating it with the radiator.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
Old 18-08-2015
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0375 View Post
The stock cooling system is arguably undersized. I wouldn't necessarily be copying it without thinking about better options.

Intercooler is at the front, then air con, then radiator with transmission cooler integrated.

Extra transmission cooler are often added above the intercooler as it is shorter than the radiator or in front of if.

I don't think it all comes out as one unit. Maybe it is possible but I don't know why you would do that, certainly not going to be any easier.

The air con lines make removing things difficult.

You should be able to find a few pictures online of a jk without the grill on.

Sorry I an not going to take mine off. I would have to remove my winch.

I would suggest running a completely separate transmission cooler and not integrating it with the radiator.

Thanks very much for the info.

A couple of things:

* I'm running the stock 6-speed manual box, so I don't need a trans cooler.
* I'll be running the mehanical fan on the front of the merc engine, with a custom made shroud - it's going to move A LOT of air.

I want to keep this as OEM as possible because this kind of plumbing is where a swap will have lower reliability that OEM. The factory setup is tried and tested in extreme hot and cold and mud and for 100,000+kms, so I want that.

It's very hard to find pictures online, because North America doesn't get diesel Wranglers, and almost all pics online are from North American Wranglers.

Thanks,
-Dan
Old 18-08-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts

I would argue the factory system is not tried and tested for extreme hot and cold and mud.

Plenty of diesels get warm. Where are you in the USA? Australia might be hotter than where you are.

I have replaced the fan clutch with a heavy duty one and yes it does move a lot of air but I wish it would run cooler.

Manual transmission will help reduce cooling issues. Do you think the transmission is up to the torque of a Mercedes diesel?

There is a few good threads from south Africa with photos of the cooling system.

Try using a country specific google page to avoid searching through all the USA forums.

I am sure Africa gets hot. If you are travelling your car will be heavy and it will be working hard. I am guessing you have probably considered these issues but the last thing I would want in Africa is a Jeep with an engine conversion and overheating issues.

Old 18-08-2015
MudSplasher

Liked 133 Times in 104 Posts

There is no way I would even consider the factory cooling system, its atleast 50% under sized. We can not even maintain a 110km+ drive with out inducing over heating. Just a poor factory design has lead the cramped set up have almost 0 aftermarket support.
Pulling the air isn't the issue, the factory 2.8 fan pulls alot of air also, it has no issues with maintaining a cool thermostatic temperature at idle or low speeds (74degs) but once it starts moving, it can see temps upto 110degs due to poor air flow and poor fluid flow due to its crap design.
Old 18-08-2015
Established Member

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

X 3 for the factory system being undersized. I would start by working out what's the largest radiator and intercooler that can be installed and remember to keep as much distance as possible between the two of them in order to avoid heat soak from one to the other. Porcelain coat your exhaust manifold and vent the hot air out from the top of the bonnet.
Old 18-08-2015
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Am I missing something or are you aware the JK 2.8TD uses a VM not Merc 3.0? I'm not sure what the advantage of going factory on the cooling system would be when the engine is not as per the factory... Or is it just a size issue, trying to get it all to fit right... Your 3.8 radiator may be ok, it's factory and it fits!
Post New Thread  Reply