CRD STU Green Diesel ECU Reflash - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

Well according to Murchison Off-road their site for the CRDStu/ECUWest tune they state
- All EGR's are turned off in all tunes

And they offer EGR Delete Plate Fitted option.

So it seems you can disable the EGR.

See link:
http://www.murchisonproducts.com.au/...formance-flash
Old 02-09-2015
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

You need to be careful about one aspect of the stock software that Green Diesel retains - there is a facility to bleed off excessive boost by momentarily opening the EGR valve, this prevents compressor damage and the flutter noise caused by boost trying to escape back through the turbo. These engines do not have a blowoff valve and the EGR is used to dump boost into the exhaust. As GDE retains this function in their tunes you need to consuder carefully any blockage at the EGR valve pipe. However, you can block it at the exhaust manifold end and then open up the EGR pipe to the atmosphere so it functions as a pure dump valve. I have been running mine thus way for years and consulted Keith at GDE about it prior to setting it up. It works because GDE onky open the EGR valve for boost dump, a stock tune will be opening the valve all the time in various scenarios and you will lose your boost. You can't just put in a petrol turbo dump valve because the ECU uses several inputs to work out when it needs to dump boost - including throttle position, and boost pressure. So the EGR valve needs to be retained so that the software dump program continues to work - but like I said its ok to convert it to just being a dump valve controlled by the GDE tune. Do not try it on a stock ECU as you will ruin the EGR routine and probably lose boost when you need it, not to mention tuning on an error code and Check Engine light.

Last edited by glend; 02-09-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2015
MudSplasher

Liked 133 Times in 104 Posts

Correct Glend, also you can not run a petrol Blow off valve as the throttle needs to fully close and boost pressure/vac needs to adjust to allow the valve to open and bleed off boost, but it will still not help in a over boost issue.
Again with this set up, there is no way I would use a EGR block plate or disable the function, The turbo will be ok, the engine will not like a over boost. its already running over 22psi. That is huge for a diesel with high static compression.
Old 02-09-2015
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Does anyone have any feedback on what happens taking your JK with remapped ECU to the dealer for servicing? Does it throw any errors for them, is it possible for them to overwrite the new tune? Mine is an MY13 so can't be done through the OBD port so just wanting to know all the facts before ripping the computer out and sending it to Stu. I suspect they'd never know and hopefully can't overwrite anything.

Sent from my Samsung S5
Old 02-09-2015
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightMods View Post
......., The turbo will be ok, the engine will not like a over boost. its already running over 22psi. That is huge for a diesel with high static compression.
Actually I believe the GDE tune uses higher boost, at least I can see more on my boost gauge tell tale ocassionally, that my Full Torque ECO GDE Tune goes above that - like 25psi. Not that I push it that hard usually.
Old 02-09-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 38 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
Does anyone have any feedback on what happens taking your JK with remapped ECU to the dealer for servicing? Does it throw any errors for them, is it possible for them to overwrite the new tune? Mine is an MY13 so can't be done through the OBD port so just wanting to know all the facts before ripping the computer out and sending it to Stu. I suspect they'd never know and hopefully can't overwrite anything.

Sent from my Samsung S5
The dealer can over write it, tell them not to do any software updates.
Old 02-09-2015
Mals-JK
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh9465 View Post
i had an ECUWest remap. I'm told it's the same remap that CRDStu uses.
I need to find a way to close off the valve so it doesn't suck crap in rather than unplugging the electrical plug.
no you don't need to block the EGR V/V after a GDE tune, just leave it! listen to Midnightmods & Glend, GDE DO use the EGR to blow off turbo boost spikes in their tune.

"I'm just finding that with the EGR unplugged the car runs a bit better and I do get a little better economy."

your dreaming! weigh it up mate, save an imaginary cent or two of fuel or stuff up your 40k CRD Engine by removing an important engine safety feature of the tune, i.e. turbo blow off.
Post New Thread  Reply