Aztec4x4 Transmission Cooler - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 113 Times in 77 Posts
Default Aztec4x4 Transmission Cooler

Hi all, I thought I'd post up the transmission cooler I have had fitted to my 2010 JKU CRD Auto.

My thoughts on temperatures are that engines should run in the 80-90defC range and auto transmissions in the 160-180degF range. I am also aware that a transmission shouldn’t be ‘over-cooled’

The 545rfe transmission actually has a very high safe operating temperature which is a good thing. However, placing a scorching hot transmission cooler in front of the main engine radiator was a poor choice by Jeep (for the hotter climates anyway). Having the transmission share a panel with the AC system was also a poor choice.

As most of us know, these CRDs like to get a bit hot now and then....mine also has ridiculously heavy 35s on it, and all the bar work, winch, dual battery etc. So mine’s probably a worse case scenario (towing would also sit high up the danger list, but with the TC locked up and running above 80km/h the transmission cooler should be getting plenty of air).

The main thought process was to move the the transmission heat away from the engine radiator. I'd take a hot gearbox over a hot engine any day.

The solution Aztec4x4 has installed for me includes a thick laser cut steel bash plate, designed in a way that it doesn’t sit any lower than the chasis cross member. The bash plate acts as the mount for the transmission cooler.

The cooling panel is basically the largest that would fit in the space created. This cooler now works in isolation, we didn’t route the fluid through the original cooler.

After an initial install, I did a good test run in reasonable temperatures (30ish). The transmission sat about 165degF when at freeway speeds. This is a perfect temperature for the transmission and indicated the cooler was the right size.

I also did a test where i found the steepest hilly suburb I could. I drove around accelerating hard up the hills for a while, churning up the transmission fluid. The transmission temp rose and rose but stabilised at 215degF/100degC. This hotter than I would want to run at usually, but quite acceptable as a worse case. For reference, the 545RFE is safe up to 240degF.

My issue with the 545RFE is that it never seems to lock up at around 70km/h. So stop start driving creates a build up of significant heat. This is of course, still the case with the new cooler. But I have the option of using the OD off button on very hot days. (OD off is great for up to 80km/h in my Jeep and encourages TC lock up) The main thing is that even if the transmission gets very hot, the heat bypasses the engine radiator so i have a lot less to worry about.

Another thing I noticed is that now, because the trans cooler is away from the main engine fan, it gets limited air at crawl speeds. I never got it anywhere near close to dangerous temps but I thought it would be a good idea to have a selectable fan installed to switch on if I’m rock crawling for example.

After the install, engine temps are usually in the low 80degC’s which I’m happy with, the transmission stabilises at 160-170degF last time I was on a long highway run, and it reaches around 190degF on hot days doing city driving (If I use the OD off button the transmission will stay under 170degF in the city). I will continue to monitor temperatures through summer, but I think it will be fine.

The cooling fans work nicely at crawl speeds, and I could always switch them on in traffic if i needed.

Any questions, post them here.

Sam
Old 12-10-2015
Full Flexer

Pics of Install
Old 12-10-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts

Hi Sam
How are you monitoring your trans fluid temps? and you got any pics of the actual plumbing?
Cheers, Mick
Old 12-10-2015

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the write up Sam, as i said before its pretty much exactly what i was thinking of doing.
Cheers
Jason
Old 12-10-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

Out of curiosity, why keep it completely separate? I was thinking of plumbing a new cooler in before the standard cooler, and having a fan attached the new cooler. The idea being that:
- under normal conditions the new cooler will take out all of the heat before it hits the standard cooler even without using the fan
- under heavy conditions they will both be needed to cool the tranny down
- having the fan to push air through the new cooler will help when when going slow

I had heard that as well as cooling a hot tranny, the OE system also helped to get the tranny up to temp in cold conditions (not sure if that is true). If that is the case then by keeping the OE system plumbed in that should still happen.

Still not decided where to put the new cooler. I'm not sure I could do what you have done as my Smittybilt front bar sits lower than your ARB bar and already has that area covered. Will have to have a look under it and see what space there is. Otherwise it's back to the idea of putting it above the rear diff.
Old 12-10-2015
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-JK View Post
Out of curiosity, why keep it completely separate? I was thinking of plumbing a new cooler in before the standard cooler, and having a fan attached the new cooler. The idea being that:
- under normal conditions the new cooler will take out all of the heat before it hits the standard cooler even without using the fan
- under heavy conditions they will both be needed to cool the tranny down
- having the fan to push air through the new cooler will help when when going slow

I had heard that as well as cooling a hot tranny, the OE system also helped to get the tranny up to temp in cold conditions (not sure if that is true). If that is the case then by keeping the OE system plumbed in that should still happen.

Still not decided where to put the new cooler. I'm not sure I could do what you have done as my Smittybilt front bar sits lower than your ARB bar and already has that area covered. Will have to have a look under it and see what space there is. Otherwise it's back to the idea of putting it above the rear diff.
Thats not a bad idea, using the radiator fan as you've described
I guess i just wanted minimum heat going through the main radiator, and also, my air con is icy cold now!
Old 13-10-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 584 Times in 369 Posts

Having both coolers can help stabilise trans temps......be careful to monitor temps on a freeway run on a cold day.
If you find the temps dropping during winter on a freeway run, you can buy thermostatic control valves which will bypass the cooler till a certain temp is reached....protects against chilling the trans.
I hope the fans are waterproof, so you can throw a hose up there and wash out dust/mud from the core easily.
It looks to be a nice, protected place to put a cooler.....nice install.
Post New Thread  Reply