Rear Wheel Bearings - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-01-2015
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

If yo do jar loose an axle retaining bolt from its housing ... its possible to remove the brake shoes and use a pair if vice grips to hold the outboard end.

Yes - that was my experience with the "Nice" studs as well. Close but no cigar, unless you want to make them fit.

Its weird how the front studs are different to the rear, you would expect them to be all the same just to make things easy manufacturing wise..... but no
Old 06-01-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
Default How do you know when rear bearings are worn?

I believe my 2011 JKs rear wheel bearings are worn. I have noticed a slight vibration when I reach about 95 kph. I have had all 4 wheels re balanced so this is not the issue. I have just jacked up the rear end and given the rear wheels a very firm shake to see if there's any movement and the L/H side moves in and out more than a mil, may be 2. The R/H side has some movement but not as much as the L/H side. Should there be any movement of this axle area in and out?
Old 06-01-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

These bearings almost always have a little end float due to
The design of them. It is possible you have a bent axle flange. Do you get a squeak from the calipers? Jack the rear of the car, put on stands and spin the wheels. Look for runout in the rear discs and wheels.
Old 06-01-2016
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench View Post
The design of them. It is possible you have a bent axle flange. Do you get a squeak from the calipers? Jack the rear of the car, put on stands and spin the wheels. Look for runout in the rear discs and wheels.
Yes i have a squeak in the L/H rear caliper, i have noticed the squeak happens mainly on a L/H turn or bend in the road. This was another reason I thought I had a worn bearing on that side.. What is run out? Is the axle flange the plate with the 4 retaining studs attached to it. If it is bent can they be straightened or do I just buy a new one?
Old 07-01-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

The flange is the part of the axle that the wheel bolts to. When this bends it causes the rotor and wheel to move side to side as they rotate. You wi probably easiest see this as the caliper moving.
Old 07-01-2016
DetroitDemon

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Funny, I did the same on mine yesterday as have annoying squeak in the rear passenger wheel I figured it may be the bearings. So a squeak here could be the bearings?
Old 07-01-2016
Full Flexer

Quote:
The flange is the part of the axle that the wheel bolts to. When this bends it causes the rotor and wheel to move side to side as they rotate. You wi probably easiest see this as the caliper moving.
In other words I just buy a new set of rear axles. If i do that I may as well upgrade to stronger ones.
What do people think of the Nitro Chromoly shafts, has any one had any major issues with them?
http://www.murchisonproducts.com.au/...ft-upgrade-kit