97 Grand diff swap - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: FSJ
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default 97 Grand diff swap

I'm hoping someone can help me with some advice, I am replacing the Daughters rear diff pinion yoke in her 97 4L Grand and after popping the back cover found some metal debris in the bottom.
I'm going to keep an eye out for a good spare but I can pick up a 94 xj Cherokee rear diff at a good price, Are these a direct bolt in? Do the brakes etc need changing over?
Old 07-02-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 166 Times in 99 Posts

The cherokee's have a leaf spring rear end, yours is coil. Definitely not a bolt in swap. Also, I believe your rear diff is a Dana 44, the cherokee is a Dana 35 (usually), not as strong.
Old 07-02-2016
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks ruff01, I had no idea they were leaf! I feel stupid asking now, last time I saw the xj I saw the coil front end and figured the rear was the same. Glad I didn't tell him to pull it from the shell.
Thanks again mate
Old 07-02-2016

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Hey bud unless it's a yank model from the states the Aussie units run a ,LSD Dana 35 rear diff aswell as the Xj but as stated before the grand cherokee's are a coil Spring, not leaf Spring mate.
Also depending on how much you want to get involved vs how easy you can get your hands on a swap out rear diff group will determine your answer mate.
Cheers
Old 08-02-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ

Further complicating the swap is that the ZJ/ZG's run a 3.73:1 ratio and the XJ'S run 3.55 :1 ratio.

Realistically the best economical option is to do a rebuild of your Dana 35.- Unless you're lucky enough to find a recently rebuilt D35 , trouble is, few people would choose to re-build a D35.

Best (cost is no object) way to go is put in a complete bolt-in new Dana 44 from some one like Dynatrac, G2 or Currie.

Maybe import a 2/H D44 from the US, but freight (due to size and weight) would be pretty high.

What is the source of the metal filings.... all diffs produce a bit of worn-off metal.
Old 08-02-2016
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

ABS is anothet difference between the XJ/ZJ.
If the diff is beyond economic repair, a TJ D44 would be a far better pick to swap in. But still not a straight boltin.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2016
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks for the replies fellas, my Daughter actually found another zj but a Laredo online and talked me into having a squizz and subsequently talked me into going halfs in it! This one looks very well maintained so hopefully a good parts car, the only reason the fella sold it was he couldn't keep the motor running for more than a few seconds before it shut off and thought it must have been an engine immobiliser.
Post New Thread  Reply