What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views - Page 2439 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-02-2016
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts

So I pulled the Alternator off this morning to replace the brushes.
I bought the wrong ones, but did not know till I had it apart.
There are two options at Auto barn, rear or side entry (the wire is either in from side or rear) The side entry ones are the correct ones.

So no dramas removing the Alternator or pulling the rear cover off, just needed a deep socket for the cover. The brush holder is a bit fragile so gentle with pulling it apart, it only goes one way so do not force it.
You can see in the last photo the bottom of the holder that is soldered, not to difficult to un solder then in with the new ones and re solder in.
Just do not to forget to disconnect the battery first. Crapped me self.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160217_094609_001.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	73379   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160217_094849.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	73380   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160217_100744.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	73381   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160217_100954.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	73382  
Old 17-02-2016
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,584 Times in 4,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs18s View Post
So I pulled the Alternator off this morning to replace the brushes.
I bought the wrong ones, but did not know till I had it apart.
There are two options at Auto barn, rear or side entry (the wire is either in from side or rear) The side entry ones are the correct ones.

So no dramas removing the Alternator or pulling the rear cover off, just needed a deep socket for the cover. The brush holder is a bit fragile so gentle with pulling it apart, it only goes one way so do not force it.
You can see in the last photo the bottom of the holder that is soldered, not to difficult to un solder then in with the new ones and re solder in.
Just do not to forget to disconnect the battery first. Crapped me self.
What were your old brushes like?
Old 17-02-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts

They looked ok condition and about 5-6mm till you can see the wire, There was not a lot of carbon build up, but cleaned anyway with CRC Lectra-clean.
I will do again over the weekend. Definitely not the cause of my issues though.
Old 17-02-2016
Rock Munki

Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirejames359 View Post
Fuel injector swap today. I used 777 Commo injectors and the upgrade 49psi FPR as per what I read on the injector upgrade thread (95 Sport OBDI). I bumped the TPS during the install and it threw a code when I took it for a spin. Zip tie secure now, another test drive and no code code this time so I don't think I damaged the TPS.

I think this may have contributed to my in-cabin fuel smell:

I glued it up for now with some rubber glue. Will have to source a replacement. Does anyone know it this is an easily replaceable bit? The plug in the pic goes on the FPR.

I also reset the ECU. A short run around through some twisty 80kp/h roads and some dirt ones and the result is the ECU clearly is working things out. It was hunting gears, torque converter action and holding high revs. At idle it's fine. Will wait and see what happens over the next 49 starts...
Is is just a vac hose connection if there was fuel coming out of it the FPR was shagged. I used some 3 or 4mm vac hose from supercrap, don't worry about the fancy 90* connectors.
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan
Old 17-02-2016
Established Member

Liked 76 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman View Post
Is is just a vac hose connection if there was fuel coming out of it the FPR was shagged. I used some 3 or 4mm vac hose from supercrap, don't worry about the fancy 90* connectors.
Right, thanks. There was no fuel coming out of it, I just saw that it had the split so assumed fuel would leak out as it was attached to the FPR... clearly I don't know much about FPRs... I will now google.

Thanks man,

If you don't ask, you don't learn.
Old 17-02-2016
Established Member

Liked 76 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
It can also look like this...

With or without the battery as I made seperate, removable covers for the floor section to allow different options, such as the shelf with a fidge...

And as you can see, also with or without the tyre inside.....
Very versatile. I like versatile storage options, particularly with the XJ as it's not the roomiest cargo area ever made. I can't put my spare inside anymore as I bolted an air compressor there.

If you don't ask, you don't learn.
Old 17-02-2016
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,113 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirejames359 View Post
Very versatile. I like versatile storage options, particularly with the XJ as it's not the roomiest cargo area ever made. I can't put my spare inside anymore as I bolted an air compressor there.
My compressor was originally bolted to the top of the battery module...

But this compressor broke when I was heading to Cape York, luckily it broke at Rocky on the way up so I was able to replace it with a decent one that I bought in Cairns.

When I got back I relocated it.....

It connects to a line that runs front to back so I have a nitto fitting under the bonnet and one at the rear next to the fridge slide, been there since '09....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Post New Thread  Reply