Paint Defects..Warranty? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2016
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Thanks for the advice

I always thought I would not accept a vehicle with defects, I was going to do a full check over the vehicles, check everything works properly etc. I think while looking at the car during hand over they interrupted me to meet this person, and sign this, about 8 times.

About 400m down the road from the dealership I closed the flap below the Uconnect and there's scratches on the flap. No wonder the sales guy kept opening it when I would close it. They would make good Magicians.

Sorry Sorry, this isn't a forum for whinging. Love the car and the love the Diesel engine.

As these pimples still seem to be fully sealed/ clear coated. Would it be smarter to leave it how it is if they offer to repair it by repainting?
The colour is cashmere pearl (light metallic gold) , not sure how easy this is to blend?

I have also found a smaller pimple on the drivers side rear upper quarter panel.
Old 07-05-2016
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't worry I was the same signing finance and I saw the sales guy looking at my drivers window, he didn't say anything to me but i noticed scratches on both front windows, I owned the jeep 4 days before it went back in for a whole week with only 150kms on it, bit of drama about replacing the two glass panels In the end got them replaced, then that weekend I cleaned it and noticed my paint issues so third week owning it and it's back there on Monday lol, but the car overall is awesome and the diesel is great just these little issues that should be checked before delivery, dealer delivery is $2700 car should be perfect! Does yours steer to the left?

I no what you mean about leaving it just remember you have 3 years for paint warrenty so I'd just bring it up with the dealer and get them or a paint shop to have a look and see if it will cause you problems down the track like you said it's covered with clear so should be okay!?
Old 08-05-2016
Senior Newbie

Thank Rhys252,

Yep mine does pull a little to the left. I don't think it is as bad as some GC's that I have read about. Is yours bad?
Keep us updated on what the Paint Technician says etc.

I'm not sure if u have read the Aus Consumer law for Vehicles, http://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/...umer%20Law.pdf
It's a good read. It contradicts so many things in the Fcaa warranty.

In the digital warranty booklet I have it only states they cover Paint finish for one year. I will have to check the booklet in the car to see if it's different.
Old 08-05-2016
Established Member

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

Don't worry about the FCA warranty babble. Consumer law over rides the FCA rubbish.

In a nutshell, consumer law says that a product must be fit for purpose and be durable and meet the normal expectations of a purchaser. How long would a purchaser expect the paint on a brand new car to last? 10 years min? Would you buy the car if you knew the paint would last less than 10 years - of course not!
Well, that is what is enforceable under consumer law.

If the dealer will not come to the party - immediately lodge a claim with ACCC and the equivalent State body. Make sure you also lodge a case with FCA in Melbourne. Tell the dealer you have done this and don't back down.

Last edited by GMWK2; 08-05-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-05-2016
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 848 Times in 475 Posts

The longer you leave the paint problems the bigger the excuses you will get from the dealer about repairs.ie where has it been parked, industrial fallout etc etc.. Before you take it in to the dealer take it to a reputable panel , paint shop. They should be able to give you an honest appraisal.If panels are going to be repainted ask who is going to do it. Be aware that panels may have to be taken back to bare metal to do a proper as new job. There maybe more bubbles ready to break out.. Do not accept a patch up ,blend in job. It will come back to haunt you later.
As gregm states contact the relevant parties ASAP. In all honesty I would ask for a new vehicle.
Old 09-05-2016
Established Member

Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts

I had 2 small paint defects on my roof, claimed warranty and repair was approved no problem.
Regards
Mike Y
Old 11-05-2016
Senior Newbie

Hey Mike,

Have you had the repair conducted yet? Did they supply a loan car etc? If the repair was conducted how was the quality of work?

Thanks
Post New Thread  Reply