OBD2 Can Tool - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-05-2016
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 388 Times in 291 Posts

the PCM and the TCM are one , the air bag will be scaned for, same for all other modules , the model I did it on was a grand 98 , not the xj , the scan tools will go through the modules listed for them as some do not look for all modules.
all 96 on are OBD11, but not all scan tools will work . some will give false readings , some will not work at all , while others will. the AL519 did not go through the list , the Creader did , some scanners are just a heap of %^&* where others will do the job YET even the Creader will not clear errors in other models such as a wj or wg , but my MD802 will clear them including air bags.
I know the earlier models are mechanical. but if you prefer to just do jeeps by all means do them , and know nothing about just how many different types there are and the need why a scan tool needs to go through it all .
but I guess you can just buy a Korean one and hope it works.
and never know why it is so important for a scan tool to search all.
Old 01-06-2016
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
Mid 95 was the changeover to OBD2, the fact that the blue tooth OBD2 dongle works also confirms this....
Are you refering to build date or model year JJ?
Every MY95 I have seen was OBD1 & MY96 was change over and bit all-over the shop.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2016
CrawlerStar

yes yes some of us know the difference between OBD1 and OBD2 , might have something to do with the plug right ?
but like most jeeps , they do tend to suffer that most important connection .......
MUDD and dirt and time ..heat, seems to happen when a car get old.
and then of course you must make sure that the tool will pick up that YEAR.
other wise the so called "handshake" will not happen . what is the point of having a computer if the thing doesn't have the info you search for.
Old 01-06-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruggz351 View Post
Indeed!!!
Didn't I have one doosie of an argument with an inspector for rego, one year!!
I argued with him for half an hr, insisted he give me some tools, so I could remove the steering wheel in front of him and show him, but he refused, for insurance purposes. Then I remembered the USB dongle in the glovebox. He was getting rabid, I threatened to drive my JEEPs airbag up his ar53!! Then his head mechanic agreed to look at the USB. Saw the diagrams where there is NO AIR BAG WARNING LIGHT, threw arms in the air, yelled pass the farkin thing, if he kills his family and it comes back on me blah blah blah!!!!!!!:hammer :

Needless to say, I stopped going there for pinks...
Hi, I have a mid-96 and contrary to the Operating Manual, no airbag light ever comes on, it has a DS airbag. Is that the way they are supposed to be be?...hate arguing with mechanics, as they are generally psychopaths.

My 10yr old OBDII reader connects, scans and states "no error codes", but will not show VIN, so I dont know whether its connecting properly or not
Old 01-06-2016
CrawlerStar

the XJ has its PCM/TCM on the passenger side . on early models , the early XJ does not have a MODULE , if you take the time to look , the tool will go through the protocols to match so it can have a happy little handshake with the PCM , THEN the tool will go through it to find any other module such as SRS ABS so on , if the tool does not , there is no point for you will be lucky if it will give you a true reading .
the tool I pluged in went through it all , the AUTEL AL519 did not and was giving a false reading . the Creader did , if you look at the pic that was placed onto this topic you will see in that part of the protocol (ISO so on so on ) if the tool does not have the right one it will not connect. if the jeep or in fact ALL cars have a broken PORT, or wire that feeds the communication no matter what you plug into the OBD11 , it will not work .
Autel are good tools , but in most cases people do not understand that NOT ALL OF THEM will read . the cheaper ones will tend not to , and if you buy a brand new SOME will not hold the protocol for certain cars. now without considering the poor bugger that has bought a new tool and it does not work and I offer a tool for him so he at least knows the tool works and will read , he then knows for a fact that there is something else wrong .
as for others wishing to go on about mechanics and so on , ranting about it , putting shit on them
STICK IT UP YOUR PIE HOLE.
go fix your own car and do not bother ANY MEC at all ever again .
go and fix 100's of different makes and models of machines on your own.
all I could do is offer this poor guy a hand . if you wish to SHIT on others go SHIT on your own piece of dirt and take a good long look at it.
the 97 XJ that was here is gone , FIXED with out trouble . that is why I used the ZJ/G as it has the early protocol.
but if you wish to F*^K it for others , go and pay for a MECHANIC at the $90 odd dollars a hour.
Old 01-06-2016
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,113 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooders View Post
Are you refering to build date or model year JJ?
Every MY95 I have seen was OBD1 & MY96 was change over and bit all-over the shop.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
Build date, I have something like 9 pre-update Xj's of which 4 were OBD2 of those 2 were built in the second half of 95 and were OBD2, compliance date was 96 but were built in 95, the early OBD2's still used the OBD1 sensors except for the MAP and O2 sensors and the fact that there were 2 of them, the rest were all OBD1...

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 01-06-2016
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,113 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg View Post
Hi, I have a mid-96 and contrary to the Operating Manual, no airbag light ever comes on, it has a DS airbag. Is that the way they are supposed to be be?...hate arguing with mechanics, as they are generally psychopaths.

My 10yr old OBDII reader connects, scans and states "no error codes", but will not show VIN, so I dont know whether its connecting properly or not
Can you show a pic of where it states that an airbag light is displayed? Also what is the date on the manual?

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland

Last edited by junglejuice; 01-06-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply