MyGIG Stereo - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KK Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-10-2016
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Yeah I didn't think of that,of course if the original Uconnect module is used then I would have exactly the same functions.If I go that way I would look at a long standard insulated usb cord or I can make up my own extension loom and move the module behind the glove box.I will wait to see if the ordered jumper kit gets it all sorted.Will update when it's all finished.
Old 29-10-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandala View Post
Yeah I didn't think of that,of course if the original Uconnect module is used then I would have exactly the same functions.If I go that way I would look at a long standard insulated usb cord or I can make up my own extension loom and move the module behind the glove box.I will wait to see if the ordered jumper kit gets it all sorted.Will update when it's all finished.
Good timing this discussion. Since I got my new iPhone 7 I've been looking for a simple way to listen to Apple Music and charge my phone at the same time. I don't have the iPod interface cable fitted and my UConnect is down the back, and all of the official interface cables I keep seeing seem either too short or may not work with my model.

After some searching online it seems that the connection on the UConnect module is a mini USB with a custom outer clip, and some have rigged up a suitable setup using bog standard USB cables and adapters.

So last night I ordered a mini USB to female adapter and a 5 metre extension cable. I'll let you know how I go.
Old 29-10-2016
AJOR Silver

Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts

Yep it's a mini USB, I'd be surprised if it didn't work unless of course it needs to be enabled by the dealer but surely not. I got the factory cable for under $50 so just went with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Looks like I am abandoning the Mygig setup due to faulty bluetooth.I have had the unit in the car for the last week and the bluetooth wasn't working but then one day it suddenly had the option to pair a device enabled.But 2 days ago I disconnected the battery and removed the Mygig to check some wiring and now with it hooked back up the bluetooth paring is disabled again.I am going to bite the bullet on this one and lash out and buy a aftermarket head unit,possibly a Kenwood with iphone carplay and android auto.One thing I am not sure about though is does my MY11 sport fitted with a standard Uconnect system,not Mygig have an amplifier and where is it to check ? Advice on this would be great.

Last edited by mandala; 05-11-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-11-2016
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

Turns out that I too haven't had much luck. It turns out that I have the old style UConnect module that doesn't have a glorified USB port, but instead a socket with pins.

The only cable that seems to be available is only 1.5 metres long and has a 30 iPod connector. So it's too short to run from the boot to the console, and adding getting a 30 pin extension cable is not easy (most seem to be 1 metre at the most).

So my plan now is to keep an eye out for a newer model UConnect module going cheap. Failing that, I might look at an alternate head unit but that's not in the budget right now. For now its a $4 dongle off eBay!

A thought has just crossed my mind, maybe I should look at getting the 1.5m harness and extend it myself. How hard could it be!
Old 05-11-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Hey WayJay.I may be able to help you.In my new head unit install I am looking into an American Can Bus module from iDatalink to retain all my factory Uconnect steering wheel bluetooth functions and I think it taps into the Uconnect module but I am waiting for a reply from the company for more details and to see if it is compatible with the new stereo I am planning on buying and if it works on our Australian model KK's.If I don't go with that module I will have a Uconnect module out of my MY11 sport that has a micro USB port.PM me if you want and we can work something out.I will hopefully be more clear in a few days.I also have just bought the USB cable for the Uconnect module that I can sell for a good price because I am not needing it anymore.I bought the whole wiring patch loom to hook up the RHP Mygig unit before I realised the bluetooth is stuffed on it so if anyone wants to wire up a Mygig with inbuilt Uconnect then that loom is for sale too.
Also can anyone help with where the stereo amplifier would be if I have one to check if I do have one.
Old 05-11-2016
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandala View Post
Also can anyone help with where the stereo amplifier would be if I have one to check if I do have one.
If you have the subwoofer in the boot, it's behind and slightly above that. (I found mine today looking for the UConnect module!)
Post New Thread  Reply