Dying CRD Torque Converter? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2010
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
I had my Unlimited CRD auto in for the Diesel Fuel Filler upgrade recently with the local dealer. I mentioned to him that the Wrangler had trouble backing out of the garage if it sat for more than a few days. It's just had it's 30k service, so it hasn't done a lot of Klms.

I sometimes have to rev it to 3grand just to get it to move, and when it does finally move it shutters for a couple of seconds. The dealer sent off an urgent email to Chysler in the states for advice on possible causes and rectifications .

A week later they called it back in and they had it in the workshop for a full day to run a diagnostic test and replace seals / o-rings / hoses / as well as give it a service.
The workshop manager indicated that they found no faulty parts and the computer behaves as it should. His verdict - dying torque converter.

So, the black bitch is sitting my garage for the next few days to see how it goes after having the techs play with its inards.

I checked UK and Europe sites, and it appears that CRD Wranglers, Nitros and Cherokees have had their fair share of CRD t/converter failures.

Apart form the manditory diesel filling problem and turbo hoses popping off - I've had a trouble free run.
I love the Wrangler, but shit, this shakes the confidence a bit. I bought the Unlimited CRD for off road touring - I'm planning an Ayers Rock run during winter.

Anyone else killed a Torue Converter?

rooster
If you have the 5-45rfe tranny in that diesel, like the KJ then you got the same issues, TC is wrong, they might replace it with a new same one under warranty, when you have to do it yourself put the hemi or suncoast in it that TC unlikely to break. If you have the4 5-45 rfe, they also get the drain back issue where they empty overnight, supposed to be because of faults in drain back valve in the return filter, was supposed to be because of a bad batch, I suspect other issues, like design. TSB seems to say it wont hurt Transmission, still it should happen with the correct filter installed (but it does).

There are lots of TSB's accross the product ranges you mentioned regarding these and many other things.

The engine flaring you mentioned (revving) also a trade mark of the stock TC installed in these vehicles, they will also do it with low fluid, hot fluid, failing TC, confused transmission control software etc.

While your at it ask about the complimentary transmission cooler fitment, they all need it.

Good luck.

Last edited by crdjon; 07-02-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-02-2010
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

you're back jon, have a good trip?
Old 09-02-2010

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The problem seems to have been corrected. I fired her this morning, slipped it into reverse and it immediately started to move - even at an idle.
It reversed like it is supposed to - no hard reving, and no shuttering.

Possibly the workshop boys replaced the faulty drain back valve?
I'll keep you guys [and the workshop] informed of any changes.

regards,
rooster
Old 09-02-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Hope its fixed for you.

Sounds like good news. Would be good if they told you what they did.

Did you get the complimentary transmission cooler?

Would that be the faulty drainback valve in the return filter......

Last edited by crdjon; 05-03-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-02-2010

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nah - they said the t/cooler is only for petrols.
Old 01-12-2016
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts

Just got my jeep back after tranny went after diagnosis the torque converter that was rebuilt last year had sheared the rivets they rebuilt this time and replaced it with stronger rivets.

The only issue I've had with my jeep is the transmission, first it was temp problem so I added a cooler and a temp gauge then the TC, I'm thinking of upgrade to a heavy duty TC, has anyone upgraded there's and what's the feedback.

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 02-12-2016
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Torque Converter

I have just gone through 160,000 kilometres using a standard hemi torque converter as used in the 545RFE, the redesign one of 2009 for the 5.7 litre petrol. The TC's vanes are about the most aggressive you can get.

I work sand dunes regularly (big ones) and don't seem to be having any issues from the TC. The computer is another little yarn though.

The diesel handles it fine with the GDE tune in as well, or should I say the TC handles the GDE tune well.

It was the most economical solution and should have been done under a non existent or not functioning manufacturer warranty when the original started rattling with the standard tune at around 15,000 kilometres.

It would be nice to tweak the pressures and shift points a little in the transmission computer, in fact I have the matching computer for the TC but alas its for the petrol version so the shift points are a little high revving even with tc computer learning. The fluid pressures are good with the matching computer and all the shackles are off the KJ CRD, it goes like a jack rabbit with it in. I do use the stock nearly all the time though, but when I can alter those shift points in the other computer its going into full time service.

Part number Hemi TC P04736587AC, somewhere around this site is a good section on the TC and various versions available, try a search.

Have fun.

Last edited by crdjon; 02-12-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply