Supercheap winches - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 51 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ65 View Post
Perfect. So can I use the redtop for the main/winch battery Snd then use my current jeep battery as the second one.
yup.
Old 06-02-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

[... I have just received a catalogue from supercheap auto and they have a 12000lb ridge Ryder winch at 50% off
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...2-000LB/380258 .... I plan on doing a trip up to Gibb River RD in a few months so am looking at some extra recovery gear. I'm not keen on water crossings and would try to avoid these where I can.]

If u r going on the Gibb River Road, having done it recently, you will not need a winch. I have seen low slung Subaru Forresters do the "road". Doing it in a few months means that any river or stream crossings will be easy as, since there will not be much water in them. Even the "mighty" Pentecost will have well and truly shot its load by then (June-ish).

You may need a winch if you intend going to the King Edward River at this time but I doubt it.

About the only recovery gear you will need will be spare tyres, on rims of course, and the gear to change them.

Cheers
Old 07-02-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 51 Times in 28 Posts

quote [... I have just received a catalogue from supercheap auto and they have a 12000lb ridge Ryder winch at 50% off
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...2-000LB/380258 .... I plan on doing a trip up to Gibb River RD in a few months so am looking at some extra recovery gear. I'm not keen on water crossings and would try to avoid these where I can.]

if you are going to get one of these winches or any other cheapie winch do these quick thing prior to install & use, & it will last years longer.
# take the gear box off (only 6 bolts so 10 mins) put in some good grease (as most only nearly have enough grease) wipe the outer edge & re fit it using some Sickerflex as a new gasket/ seal to water proof.
# take off the motor, wipe the outer edge & re fit it using Sickerflex as gasket & seal to waterproof.
# Cheapie winches have usually scrimped a little on the quality of the electrics in the motor thus causing them to heat up more quickly under load. Heating up can be bad in two ways (1) can damage Brushes ect (2) can cause condensation when cooling & that stuffs electrics.
just remember, your not in a race,& time is on your side so sitck to the 20 - 10 rule, winch in for 20 seconds & let it rest for 10 seconds, in for 20 rest for 10 ect ect ect this will prevent your winch motor from heating up.
# straight line pull / snatch block:- always try a straight line pull first, but if there is too much labour on the winch run the rope out threw a snatch block & back to the car, this will 1/2 the load on a winch & increase the pull power (eg) Basically turns the power of a 8000lb winch to the torque of a 10,000lb winch.
have fun piggy.

Last edited by piggy; 07-02-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-02-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 43 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly View Post
As the others said. Winch cover is only for when no winch is mounted. No dual battery, instructions say to run winch with motor running as draws a lot of power and depending on how far you need to winch could be on for a long time.
This is a closeup of my winch.
I should also mention I've made a uv protective cover to protect the rope from the sun and have used Velcro to secure it front and back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you tell me do you reckon you would have clearance for that light bar if it was mounted directly to the bullbar instead of on those raised mounts?
Old 07-02-2017
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggy View Post
quote [run the rope out threw a snatch block & back to the car, this will 1/2 the load on a winch & increase the pull power (eg) Basically turns the power of a 8000lb winch to the torque of a 10,000lb winch.
have fun piggy.
Ah...... it doubles the effective pulling power which means an 8,000lb winch through a snatch block will have the pulling power of a 16,000 lb unit.... but at half the line speed overall.

Or of course if the load is constant it will halve the strain / current draw on the winch.
Old 07-02-2017
Senior Newbie

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevillebartos View Post
Can you tell me do you reckon you would have clearance for that light bar if it was mounted directly to the bullbar instead of on those raised mounts?

Not quite sure, maybe just?? But that's where I wanted to put the uhf aerial. I don't see any benefit to putting the light bar up any higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2017

Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdingerslammer View Post
[... I have just received a catalogue from supercheap auto and they have a 12000lb ridge Ryder winch at 50% off

If u r going on the Gibb River Road, having done it recently, you will not need a winch. I have seen low slung Subaru Forresters do the "road". Doing it in a few months means that any river or stream crossings will be easy as, since there will not be much water in them. Even the "mighty" Pentecost will have well and truly shot its load by then (June-ish).

You may need a winch if you intend going to the King Edward River at this time but I doubt it.

About the only recovery gear you will need will be spare tyres, on rims of course, and the gear to change them.

Cheers
Ive seen your marble bar post and looks like you've done some really good stuff and visted some cool places in WA. I am based in perth so this appeals to me do will be looking through your posts for more inspiration. I've worked up in the Pilbara for years so appreciate and respect the climate up there hence a trip later in the year when it's cooler and hopefully not cyclone season. As far as the winch goes I don't expect to need it or use it but you know what's it's like. A detour here or there who knows where you will end up. And a winch is just peace of mind for that.