Weight Distribution Hitches - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2017

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Yep, I take your point but I guess its a bit like any other legal type document, you cant read one clause in isolation as the preamble has qualifiers in it.

In any event and if its of interest to others following the thread, I posted this same query in another unrelated forum and got a response from a long established MV insurance assessor.

In his opinion, provided that you do not exceed the vehicle manufacturers published towing limits there will not be a problem with insurance. He follows that up with the general insurance concerns of people overloading ie ball weights and axle loadings. Exceed these and the insurers have a good reason to deny a claim.

Having said this I am still waiting to hear back from WA vehicle licensing and it is my intention to pursue my insurers further to get their opinion in writing.
Old 10-07-2017

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

OK - just got a response from my insurer. The requirement to use a WDH when towing over 2,268 kgs is a matter between the vehicle manufacturer and myself should there be a warranty claim.

Insurer has confirmed that provided the manufacturers towing specs are not exceeded there will be no issue with insurance should a towing related claim arise.

At the end of the day though, if you don't feel comfortable without a WDH, then use one. It is an individual choice.

cheers
Old 11-07-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

You can't do better than confirm your exact circumstances with your own insurer…..and use that as a basis for decision making - as you've done. And thanks for the detail.

Interesting that in 2012 my insurer (well, the consultant on the phone!) stated they would expect me to comply with all recommendations from my vehicle and van manufacturer when towing - as I posted a few days ago.

Just goes to show there are differences in interpretation and again one of the reasons I wouldn't give an insurer too much leeway - in the event of any incident the last thing I want to deal with is an assessor who can pick any detail to potentially derail, or downgrade a claim.

All the best
John
Old 11-07-2017

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

In my GC 2016 model it clearly states that, If the trailer weight exceeds 2268 Kilograms it is Mandatory to use a WDH. Aside from the obvious advantages of better stability etc. I would say that if you don't it would be a clear breach of the terms of use and would void your warranty in the event that something occurred that could be attributed to the failure to use the hitch as instructed..
Old 22-05-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default What about 2009 WH

Interesting reading as my 2009 GC Laredo (CRD 3.0) owners manual makes no reference to the mandatory use of a WDH but only suggests the use for heavy trailers.
So I'm still none the wiser.
My proposed van for the Laredo has van at 2620kg and ball weight of 180kg.
So... WDH or no WDH?
Old 22-05-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 111 Times in 73 Posts

A 2600kg van really should have more than 180kg on the coupling. That's right at the thin edge as far as stability is concerned.

Cheers, Steve
Old 22-05-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 79 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Sal View Post
Hi,

I would think it is a legal requirement when it comes to your insurer! If the handbook says to use it and you haven't, then you crash,..... well, you know the rest!

Sensible advice anyway - you should use a WDH with heavy ball weights.

We use one with our Jeep GC Limited CRD and also use the HR Dual Cam Sway with it. Rock solid towing!

Our Lotus van has a ball weight of 280-300kg.

Cheers,
Sally
Hi there, just wondering how you set up your hitch with the QL suspension?
I'm about to set up for the first time!
cheers, Roger