Do alloys have a weight rating? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2017

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Default Do alloys have a weight rating?

I want to match rims on our single axle off road van with the GC. Van weighs 1900kg loaded. Is there a load rating for the RIMs like there are for tires ? Will they take 950kg each?

Rang FCA 'help line' - sorry we don't have technical information, ring your nearest dealer. Rang dealer, got transferred from service to parts back to service and said we'll call u back. 5 minutes later a call back, head mechanic said check your tyre placard it's on there. Well it's not.....

Anyone know if they have a rating and what it would be ?

TIA
Old 07-09-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 161 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
I want to match rims on our single axle off road van with the GC. Van weighs 1900kg loaded. Is there a load rating for the RIMs like there are for tires ? Will they take 950kg each?

Rang FCA 'help line' - sorry we don't have technical information, ring your nearest dealer. Rang dealer, got transferred from service to parts back to service and said we'll call u back. 5 minutes later a call back, head mechanic said check your tyre placard it's on there. Well it's not.....

Anyone know if they have a rating and what it would be ?

TIA

Generally I would say "Contact the Manufacturer" but dealing with FCA to get technical information can be a bit frustrating.
For me, matching rims on my trailer with mr car rims was easy, a basic box trailer, but a full weight van might be different.

Just thinking aloud here. The GC is about 2300kg, so approx 550 - 600kg per wheel. Then you have the drive force as well so the rims have to be pretty darned strong. And of course they are also capable of taking more weight than any tyre that you can put on them so I'd say you'd be close.

Which rims do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Out of all the things that old grey nomads do that wastes time, I reckon matching up the rims with the van is the biggest.

I can understand if the tow vehicle is really common and it's just an option on the order form to tick but other than that, if you pop more than a single tyre anytime you are doing it wrong.
Old 07-09-2017

That hasn't really helped, AND we are 15-20 years off being grey nomads !

Did a trip along the relatively 'easy' Birdsville track in 2 crappy old Mazda Bongo vans in 2015. Supported by a Prado towing a car trailer expecting the worst. The Bongos and the trailer did not experience a single flat.

The Prado had Cooper AT3 I think and only 10000km. 3 flats. 2 occurred together so must have hit something unseen. Unlucky? Yep! And no let's no start on bagging brands of tires or cars.

Plenty of vehicles doing big outback miles carry 2 spares. This is our way of achieving a similar outcome without carrying a heap of stuff on the roof or hanging off the rear. I respect those that choose that option, but it's not our preference.

We have the plain Jane Laredo 2014/15 rims to go on the trailer.

if anyone can help with whether these have sufficient strength/rating to go on the trailer mentioned, sure would be appreciated!
Old 07-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperau View Post

Just thinking aloud here. The GC is about 2300kg, so approx 550 - 600kg per wheel. Then you have the drive force as well so the rims have to be pretty darned strong. And of course they are also capable of taking more weight than any tyre that you can put on them so I'd say you'd be close.

Which rims do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks skipperau, my thoughts are similar, especially as it can have a towball weight of 350kg. The option to match is about $300 so that's not the issue. I just don't want to end up stranded at Dalhousie Springs or GRR next year with a couple of busted wheels
Old 07-09-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
That hasn't really helped, AND we are 15-20 years off being grey nomads !
You own a caravan by default you are a grey nomad, sorry mate.

If you search this site you will find your issues go beyond the wheel rating.

One of the other half grey nomads (he only had a half caravan) found that the hubs would need to be too small and the brakes wouldn't fit under them.
Old 07-09-2017
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts

yes they are rated, but I dont know if splitting the vehicles weight by quarter is accurate, my oka needs 1550kg rated rims all round as the rear diff is rated at 3100kg but the gvm is 5500kg (front diff 2400kg) so quarter gvm is 1375kg not enough. 1550kg rims are obtainable. But your single axle carries the 1900kg alone so you would need 950kg rated rims
Post New Thread  Reply