Squeaky wheel? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-09-2017
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Jeeper View Post
Have a look at the clips on which pads sit. They can get out of the seat and lightly touch the rotors.

My video
https://youtu.be/tfRnQXidSNQ
That sounds like my squeak. Time to check clips I think. Thanks
Old 20-09-2017
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 116 Times in 94 Posts

$2 parts, but annoying as hell
Old 23-09-2017
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihull View Post
Is it a continuous squeal or an intermittent squeak as the tyre rotates? The bearing never get greased because it sits within the axle tubes and is lubricated by the diff oil. Check your diff oil level. it should be filled to the height of the diff filler plug.
Or it maybe the disc pad has worn and you are hearing the noise of the pad's wear indicator touching the disc warning you that you need to replace the rear pads.
OK. First up this morning, (woke up about 6 & couldn't get back to sleep...) pulled the hats off the diffs replaced the sealant, (it was leaking all around the rear & half the front), and refiled them. Then took daughter #1 to her ballet class. No change, but at least I have sealed the hats properly this time. On a side note, why the hell does diff oil smell so bad!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Jeeper View Post
Have a look at the clips on which pads sit. They can get out of the seat and lightly touch the rotors.

My video
https://youtu.be/tfRnQXidSNQ
This is what I don't understand: I could only hear the squeak when cornering. Yet after pulling the left rear & removing the caliper, I noticed that there were some extra stripes on the disc. Sure enough when I pulled the pads out, one of the clips came out stuck on it with the end worn off! (And the bent over parts that are supposed to stop it from moving either straightened or broken off.)

So I rebent all 4 of them & spread them a bit then reinserted in the calipers. Added a light brushing of some phospor-bronze anti-seize to the tags on the pads & reassembled everything. A bit quieter on the trip to pick her up again. Did the right side after lunch, pretty much the same there.

Now here is the strange part. I said before I could only hear it when cornering, and that is the case, yet now it seems much quieter when driving normally as well as no more squeak. So how can it be quieter, when I couldn't hear the damned clips scraping in the first place!? And why could I hear them when going around a corner!? Maybe part of the quieter, is fresh oil in full diffs?

Still, it's fixed now & I am much happier. Thanks Kiwi Jeeper, you nailed it!
Old 24-09-2017
SwampDigger

Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

Having sorted that squeal, I went looking for the other rattles & squeaks this morning. The squeaks are fromn the usual place, sway bar bushes. Hit them with some lubricant & they'll be ok for a while.

The rattles are also mostly the usual suspects, swaybar link ends. The end of the link that bolts to the swaybar has movement in the joint. Nothing to do there, except replace them when I can. The other source of rattles was the rear shocks. The lower bolt, while still tight, was not tight enough.

The bolt is 11.85mm, (as measured to vernier caliper), the hole in the bottom of the shock was 11.89mm. But the hole in the mount on the axle is just over 13mm... Almost the same problem as the other suspension bolts. Why can't they just use the same size for the mount holes as the components they fit to them!?