WK2 - SERV 4WD Light - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-05-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 83 Times in 51 Posts

Mine came on again the other day offroad in auto mode, again when a front wheel lifted. I took it back to jeep and as usual no codes logged so i took a (cough cough) mechanic with me and duplicated the problem. It took a bit to get the light to come on but it did and when they hooked up the computer they said it was the elsd motor overheating and that when i go off road to put it in 4wd mode. I tried to explain to them it is in 4wd mode but that was their answer. So as to what mode to put it in when on a light dirt trail is anyones guess.
Old 28-05-2015
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Exclamation My BS detector is going off

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoondog View Post
They said it was the elsd motor overheating and that when i go off road to put it in 4wd mode..
Ask them whereabouts is this elsd motor & do they have a part number for it
Just watch them squirm when they know you know it doesn't exists
Fact 1 No ELSD in the front of any WK(2)
Fact 2 The ELSD in the rear is engaged by a solenoid(a magnetic switch)
And just in case yours isn't a Quadra Drive

Fact 3 ELSD's are only in QDII equipped grands.

And if they say they were referring to the transfer case (MP 3022) the only motor it has is the Hi/Lo shift motor, as the name suggests it ONLY shifts the transfer case from Hi to Low or vice versa. Requires you to actually select Low Range before it does anything so it is impossible that it is the cause.

My opinion? It's a software glitch, when you lift a wheel and the system senses excess wheel spin it faults & that's why there is no code.
Old 28-05-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 83 Times in 51 Posts

They reckon the one in the rear. They did replace it a few months ago but it obviously didn't work. I know that it must be a software glitch but the dealership says there are no upgrades that haven't been done and no codes being stored so now i think they're just grasping at straws.
Old 28-10-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Had the Serv4wd light come on my 2012 GC Overland last week took it to local Jeep dealer and they found codes pointing at the ELSD they recommended that the Diff ECU got replaced under used car warranty (which was rejected) found this service advice online http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2100114.pdf and asked them to quote the repairs $2500 ($2135 for ELSD motor + labor). Bought new Jeep rear oil @ $171 and changed to oil myself just in case! While under the car looked at motor and thought 'that's not too hard to remove' so took it out for a look. Pulled it apart and found carbon buildup and a little tight. Blew it out an freed it up, put it back in with fresh oil. No Light
Old 28-10-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Have a read of service advice http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2100114.pdf and print it off and take it to the dealer states 0.2hr to flash new software @ $154 it should only cost $30
Old 23-02-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts

Just thought I'd threadmine this rather than starting a new one.
I had been getting the SERV 4WD messeage intermittently for several weeks. It would appear for no real reason, ie. on a straight road, pulling out of my drive etc. I could just restart and it would disappear, usually for days or weeks at a time. More recently it was coming on more frequently until 2 weeks ago it was on permanently whenever the car was started. Was booked in for a service with my mechanic and I showed him this thread and what others had done.
About 2 days before going in (it went in yesterday) it stopped lighting up and on the day it was still off. This afternoon driving home from the school run it came back on again and is permanently on again.

Am I looking at a new ELSD motor? It was disassembled, cleaned and re-installed.
Cheers,
CSA Raptors
Old 13-03-2018

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

This has happened to mine on the very rare occasion, generally in dunes going somewhat hard. I've taken the car to flat ground, turned it off for a minute and restarted, all good with no light..
Heading to the Simpson in a couple of months and really want to get it sorted
Post New Thread  Reply