wk2 loss of power - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2018
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

Can you Explain to me Why 5w40 Grade oil would Have a Bearing on this Problem ? I Still Run Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 in my 2014 , Am I to Expect Trouble, Why the Change ?
Old 12-05-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 573 Times in 294 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks guys,

Bluedriver not connected as I am away till the middle of next week and these symptoms have really made their presence felt on this trip. Seems strange that sometimes the no power situation lasts for a long time and other times it only takes a few seconds to suddenly surge ahead, so to me nothing wrong with the basic motor, just electronics or something sticking. The TIPM concerns me as I said the wiring harness has been butchered and makes a replacement one non functional from what I have read on vertical visions

I actually started a thread on cleaning the MAP sensor some years ago

Bob
Old 13-05-2018
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 848 Times in 475 Posts

Hi Bob41,
In July 20 2016 FCA issued a TSB 18 08716 stating that all 2011 on Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesels should be using a 5w40 full synthetic oil ,(not 5w30) that also meets Chryslers oil standards.Thin viscosity oils are used for a number of reasons ,including better fuel economy figures.!!The thinner oil was shown to increase engine blow by ,thus increasing sooty ,oily deposits in the inlet manifolds,EGR valves,DPFs etc .This blow by problem was made even worse in hot climates or towing .Engine protection then also became a factor when the oils thinned out.
If you have not got a Provent 200 or similar to filter out oily blow by gases I would fit one ASAP.Google gunking up diesel inlet manifolds and/or go to Berrima Diesels web site for info.
Myself and many other WK2 owners are using Penrites 5w40 Enviro Full synthetic oil.I will also add many oil manufactures would comply with Chryslers specs but will not pay the huge cost of getting the tick of approval!!Just like the Heart tick on food in Aust!!
Old 13-05-2018
Lowranger Shocker

TBBob
I would be extremely worried if my vehicle was suddenly showing fuel usage of30 litres per hundred ks even for short periods of time.This is twice the fuel usage per normal , it is highly unlikely the motor is burning it.Over fueling kills diesels,eg washing oil off bores,diesel getting into the engine oil etc.I would smell your engine oil to see if any in it ,pronto !!
Old 13-05-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 373 Times in 211 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

This might be worth checking out:

https://www.engineoiltest.com.au/product/oil-test-kit/

Cheers
Old 14-05-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 573 Times in 294 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm View Post
TBBob
I would be extremely worried if my vehicle was suddenly showing fuel usage of30 litres per hundred ks even for short periods of time.This is twice the fuel usage per normal , it is highly unlikely the motor is burning it.Over fueling kills diesels,eg washing oil off bores,diesel getting into the engine oil etc.I would smell your engine oil to see if any in it ,pronto !!
Instant, easy, boot the diesel in 3rd or 4th (5sp box) and it will go to the end of the scale (30 ltrs/hundred) and then drop back.

So, on the way home climbing up past East Jindabyne the car played up then all the way home 400 k's went perfect

Bob
Old 15-05-2018
Lowranger Shocker

Until you hook up the BlueDriver we are all guessing what is happening.!! The only other advice would be to take it to somebody like Berrima Diesel (who know diesels backwards !!)and put it on the dyno to see if you can replicate the problem under load etc.

Last edited by bjm; 15-05-2018 at 06:14 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply