Engine Replacement Needed, & (Dodgy Warranties) - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2019
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Engine Replacement Needed, & (Dodgy Warranties)

New to the page, and this is a long one, so brace yourselves.

My wife and I purchased an MY15 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Diesel from a dealership in South Melbourne in May of 2017.

The Dealer offered a 3 year extended warranty which was with Sentinal (I'm sure youre aware of their reputation). At the time, unfortunately, we weren't aware of this.

2 Weeks ago I drove my car home from work (about 12km) with no warnings on the dash and no signs of distress being shown by the car. I went inside and came out 15mins later which is when I noticed a large pool of oil on the ground under the engine.

From here, knowing that the car was obviously undrivable I arranged to have it towed the next morning to the mechanic I have used in the past and as I was told by Sentinal in my conversation with them prior to taking it to this particular mechanic, is one of their recognised approved mechanics.

Over the last 2 weeks, the mechanic has had to install sacrificial parts to the tune of over $3k, as it was found after these parts were bought and installed,
and the car was able to be run, that there was a pressure leak, and according to the mechanic, the engine has a cracked block.

Since discovering this, the mechanic put in a claim to Sentinal explaining the problem, and Sentinal has since come back to me requesting that they require a second opinion as the current mechanic is 'not one of their approved'. I know this to be a load of you know what, so I have put I back on them to check their records. which is where things stand now. My brother in law ( a car salesman) gave Sentinal a call explaining that he was with them and needed car repairs and whether (my mechanic) is one of their approved, to which they replied yes. We will be taking this as far as we can.

Of course, these companies need to make you jump through certain hoops, but don't try and take the piss and be shady!

In the meantime, as the Jeep is our only vehicle, we are now having to fork out $400 a week for a rental car.

Also contacted Jeep complaints department, though im pretty sure from what I hear they will tell me to go jump.

And also in the process of getting legal advice from VCAT and ACCC.

A car of this age which has been maintained properly should not have an issue of this magnitude!

Has anyone else experienced this type of thing with warranty companies and their JEEP? Do I have a leg to stand on with JEEP?
Old 01-10-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 386 Times in 217 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I haven't had any experience with warranty companies & the last time I dealt with the Jeep complaints dept they were out of their depth trying to comprehend the written info I had put into the complaint. Their efforts to contact me consisted of my phone ringing twice & cutting out (they hung up)before I could answer it. I rang them back & was told the case was shut as they had tried to contact me (BS to that) but couldn't get hold of me. For me the complaints department was totally useless for that particular problem & I ended up getting the problem fixed (DPF problem causing excessive regens, rising oil level from fuel dilution & reduced oil life % ie: oil change required every 2500-3000km indicated on EVIC) without any input from Jeep. I haven't heard of ECO diesels leaking oil from cracked blocks before but there are some instances listed on forums where ECO diesels have had leaks from the oil cooler post 18 refers:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...53/index2.html
Hope you get it sorted soon.

Cheers

Last edited by TR Laredo; 01-10-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old 31-10-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

We need better consumer protections as people are having problems with many other makes and models.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...3b2c5a7d52fe52
Old 01-11-2019
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 848 Times in 475 Posts

How many kms?Under Aust consumer law one would reasonably expect a correctly serviced motor to last longer than four years.! How does your mechanic determine it is a cracked block,Photos etc.where is the crack ,very strange.Did you go to the snow ,If it is the problem definitely go FCA and then Vcat etc. Good luck with the insurance co
Old 01-11-2019
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,590 Times in 4,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksjay View Post
We need better consumer protections as people are having problems with many other makes and models.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...3b2c5a7d52fe52
The consumer laws are there.
Its just that the companies have realized that if they tell you to go jump, you end up having to drag them through the legal process kicking & screaming.
They realize that most wont bother because of the cost.

I have a friend that is currently having issues with Aldi with a laptop.
Aldi are currently arguing that as the receipt has faded, they have no proof of purchase & so no claim.
Typical German Gestapo behavior.
I see that the ACCC currently are taking Mazda on for unconscionable behavior.
It is fair to say Jeep is no different than any other car company, or any other retailer for that matter.
They are there to maximize profit.
In doing so, they squash a few consumers.
The only way to win is to make the alternate for them more painful than sorting your problem.
A cracked block does occur with diesels, not that common & normally associated with some other major failure. There is way too little information provided to comment on what has happened. Its not a freezing problem as its an oil leak, not a coolant leak.
I suspect the OP is just trying to get the problem out in the public domain & not looking for real help.
Old 04-11-2019
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JL
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts

It is worth your while to go to a solicitor.

Initailly you migh to have to pay a fee but you need to agree that the dealer will pay legal costs.
Old 04-11-2019
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JL
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts

And will also pay rental car costs
Post New Thread  Reply