WH Hemi Fuel Economy Issue? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-12-2019

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default WH Hemi Fuel Economy Issue?

Hi,
I do want to mention didn't buy a V8 for the fuel economy, but for the noise, fun factor and simplicity. But I am getting around 27-32L/100 around town now and it has been consistant for about 6 months now. I only use 98 fuel so it is a bit expensive. I don't think I have a lead foot as generally it changes up gears between 2000 and 3000rpm, but I do blow the cobwebs out id have to guess 4 times a week.

When I originally bought the car maybe 2-3 years ago, I was getting around 15-16L/100km around town when it was stock and on 29" tyres. With the mods I have done, I'd expect around 20-21L/100km and wouldn't be asking the question if it was around there but I am just concerned I could have a problem.

The car is an '07 WH 5.7L with around 130,000km. The mods I have done which I know would affect the economy are a 2" lift, bullbar, and 32.6" tyres. Other than that, just deleted the centre muffler and intake silencer (for both visibility down the front of the engine on the tracks if I need to check and induction noise) - moved the intake air temp sensor into side of airbox, if that is important to note.

I can live with it, but if I can get an extra 30% range out of a tank then I'd definitely like to chase that up. The factory spark plugs could be due for a change as I think I read around 140,000km somewhere. Cheers, hoping for a bit of input
Old 20-12-2019
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Basically same car, same year, similar milage, similar mods. I get 20L/100kms around town. On the highway on a big trip, fully loaded with swag on the roof I can get it down to almost 14L/100kms if I really baby it and keep the MDS activated.

I have reprogrammed the tire size in the ECU so the odometer and fuel calcs are more accurate. I actually found this seemed to make a difference to how the transmission shifted too.

Have you actually calculated the fuel consumption manually by using the actual distance traveled from say your GPS / Google maps? You might surprise your self like I did. The consumption might not be as bad as you think.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 20-12-2019

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad.jones View Post
Basically same car, same year, similar milage, similar mods. I get 20L/100kms around town. On the highway on a big trip, fully loaded with swag on the roof I can get it down to almost 14L/100kms if I really baby it and keep the MDS activated.

I have reprogrammed the tire size in the ECU so the odometer and fuel calcs are more accurate. I actually found this seemed to make a difference to how the transmission shifted too.

Have you actually calculated the fuel consumption manually by using the actual distance traveled from say your GPS / Google maps? You might surprise your self like I did. The consumption might not be as bad as you think.

I haven't done a calculation like that. I might need to invest in a tuner but its hard to find one that works in AU. What tuner did you use?
Old 20-12-2019
I just registered

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I just used http://jscan.net/ with https://www.jaycar.com.au/obd-ii-eng...ology/p/PP2145

Old 01-01-2020
Established Member

Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

as said above....with your tyre size going up somewhere near 10 percent, the speedo is also out by the same amount....you need the speedo recalibrated and youll drop 2L/100 instantly.
Old 01-01-2020
Established Member

Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

as for the other 10L/100 youve lost yikes!, start doing the usual like pcv clean, intake clean, new plugs, throttle body clean etc etc
Old 03-01-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 288 Times in 210 Posts

Put in new O2 sensors preferably mopar genuine ones are worthwhile and will pay for themselves in few months of driving.
My ex daughter’s 2003 I6 WG improved from 14.6L/100kms to 11.6 with a new front O2 sensor general driving but mainly on the highway.
I tried an aftermarket brand and there was an improvement but when I swapped in a genuine mopar sensor the biggest gains happened.
O2 sensors can be significantly degraded without any codes.
Post New Thread  Reply