The search for a magic carpet (Lifted ride discussion) - Page 8 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2019
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
If your insurance assessor spots it, good by claim as they can say it may have attributed to the failure!
Like I said, "legality aside".

If you were concerned about it, you can always chuck some new, longer studs in there - I doubt that an insurance assessor is going to notice a 10mm plate unless there is something pointing them to it.
Old 24-12-2019

Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
Well its all back together now and only had the toe setup by a shop (yet to get other settings sorted), and it appears to be settling at a similar height to the OME so far but give it a few weeks and I'm sure it'll be lower. I've yet to put many kms on it but in the short drive to and from the shop it definitely didn't feel too soft which is good.

I've currently got the Bilsteins set on the middle setting and running without any strut spacer.

I'll take some more measurements in a week or two to check the resting height, when I checked after a day or so it had settled 10mm below the OME setup, however this was with the added weight of the diff back in the car so might just be attributed to that.
Anymore feedback on this combo and how it drives?
Interested to hear what it's like with the soft spring but firmer-than-oem shock?
Old 11-01-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 98 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzilla View Post
Anymore feedback on this combo and how it drives?
Interested to hear what it's like with the soft spring but firmer-than-oem shock?
Sorry been MIA for a month or so and the Jeeps only done about 10kms, in the driving I have done (just back country roads) it definitely handles my local dirt road a bit nicer in terms of corrugations and this is without a full wheel alignment. Hoping to get it aligned in the next week or two (currently got a backlog of car jobs on the others in the fleet).

Unfortunately I've got what sounds like a diff whine developing and have dumped to trans case to find some rather mud like oil.
Old 20-01-2020
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Jeeperf have been experimenting again
https://www.facebook.com/JeePerf/posts/2501914290052192

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82773072_2501914086718879_8317817210860994560_o.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	78721  

Last edited by Clarky; 20-01-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Old 24-01-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 98 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
Jeeperf have been experimenting again
https://www.facebook.com/JeePerf/posts/2501914290052192

Thanks for sharing Clarky, seems that Jeeperf are always experimenting
Old 22-03-2020
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Very interesting discussion. I have not lifted mine because for what I do, its not necessary. I have only fitted Bilstein 5100s on the lowest setting which lifts the front 3/4" or 19 mm. I went with 245/70-17 tires in a P rating, 1" taller than stock. Ride is as good as stock just a tad firmer. Here is another factor not discussed:
Tire load rating. These vehicles were designed for a P rated tire with a load capacity as inflated to 33 psi of approx. 2200 lbs (per tire) which gives plenty of reserve for an approx 5,000 lb vehicle.
BUT...most are using "E" rated tires, on lifted jeeps because that's all that is available in 17" rims sizes. AND, these much stiffer tires when fully inflated (80 psi) have a weight capacity of 3000 lbs. This is appropriate to a 3/4 ton pick up and in the USA, 1/2 ton pick ups (1500 series) come with P rated tires, 3/4 ton (2500 series) come with "E" rated tires. I have always felt they are too stiff for Jeeps because they are made for much heavier vehicles.

The best solution would be able to get AT or MT tires in lower load ratings appropriate to the weight of the Jeep. But the tire companies at least here in the USA don't do that. So I run P rated tires on my Grand, and C rated on my son's Wrangler and on our old '98 Grand. None of them ride harsh.
I bet if you could find C rated tires in the size you want to run, you'd see a difference. But the other factor which is the limited travel of the IFS, is what you are all trying to work around. Longer springs with the same spring rate as stock would seem like a good solution, but if the lift companies don't do this, there must be a reason.
Comparing the WK off road to my old ZJ (solid front axle) you can feel the longer travel when cresting ruts and bumps on the beach. Same with the Wrangler. Jeeps live axle set up is just superior off road as much as I prefer a Grand with a Hemi under the hood lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sore Thumb beach 4-17.jpg 2.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	78831  

Last edited by Lou C; 22-03-2020 at 08:25 AM.
Old 22-03-2020
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I am running "C" rated 255/75r17 KO2's that weigh around 4kg's less then the equivalent E rated 265/70r17's. Can't say I noticed any obvious ride quality difference between the 2.

The "C" rated do however bag better with less air drop then the "E"s.

Run around 33psi to 35psi in both sizes when on road with even tyre wear (upped the rears to 38 when towing the van).

Last edited by Clarky; 25-03-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply