WK2 Advice - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default WK2 Advice

Hi everyone. I'm looking to get back into a Jeep WK2. I went to a Japanese car just over 5 years ago and it's just not the same as driving a GC. To be honest I ran for the hills once Fiat got involved in the brand and got some really bad service.
How are these 3.0 VM Motori engines going? Is there any known issues of many failures? This will be my 4th GC so I'm aware of some of the extra service attention and parts pricing here in Australia. Is there anything else I should look out for or be concerned about?

Thanks in advance

Gav
Old 04-06-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 703 Times in 393 Posts

I think the general consensus is that it's a solid engine (particularly when paired with the 8 speed). The couple of things that pop up most frequently are:
  • A few DPF issues here and there (typically brought on by a life of short trips, meaning regens can't happen)
  • Gunking up of the manifold, EGR valve, MAF sensor etc. as a result of the EGR (catch-can is the most common solution, or tune and delete if you're happy to risk the fine)
  • A small coolant hose in the bottom of the engine that a few people have had perish - I imagine the numbers will climb as the vehicles get older. Cheap part, bu takes quite an extensive amount of labour pulling apart the engine to get to it

My 2c: I haven't had any issues with mine (touch wood), and it's been fantastic to drive. So long as you make sure you're taking it for decent trips, not just to the shops and back, then you should be golden. Haven't gotten around to installing a catch can but it's been on the list for about 3 years - would definitely recommend it ASAP, as the EGR does gunk thinks up quite a bit.

Have a look through the other posts on here, as well a the Facebook groups (which are a bit more active than here now), and you'll find plenty of people saying great things about them

Old 04-06-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts

Have you got a picture or diagram showing the small coolant hose in question.

Is it a DIY job to change it, and what about the cost, do companies like Mackay, Dayco sell the hose
Old 04-06-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts

Is this the hose you are referring too, Looks like its related to the 2011-2013 year builds

2011-13 Jeep WK2 Grand Cherokee 3.0L CRDi (V6 Diesel): coolant weepage from EGR hose
In July 2014, Jeep issued Service Bulletin 07-003-14 for 2011-13 Jeep WK2 Grand Cherokee vehicles that had 3.0-litre turbo-diesel V6 engines. In these vehicles, the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) hose may weep coolant. To fix, the EGR cooler hose was to be replaced.

http://australiancar.reviews/reviews...erokee&gen=483
Old 04-06-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 133 Times in 83 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

No, it is the one on the VM motors. There are in fact 2 hoses, one in the V under the inlet manifold etc and the other behind the driver's side head.They supply coolant to the water cooled turbo and are something that should have been engineered better to either eliminate replacement or at least make it easier. I haven't had to do mine but apparently a very big job, especially the one behind the head.......virtually no room to work.I have heard that it might even require the engine to be removed.
It will be interesting to see how many failures there are as the GCs get longer in the tooth.
Old 04-06-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 703 Times in 393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLMATE View Post
Is this the hose you are referring too, Looks like its related to the 2011-2013 year builds

2011-13 Jeep WK2 Grand Cherokee 3.0L CRDi (V6 Diesel): coolant weepage from EGR hose
In July 2014, Jeep issued Service Bulletin 07-003-14 for 2011-13 Jeep WK2 Grand Cherokee vehicles that had 3.0-litre turbo-diesel V6 engines. In these vehicles, the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) hose may weep coolant. To fix, the EGR cooler hose was to be replaced.

http://australiancar.reviews/reviews...erokee&gen=483
Talking about the one described in this thread
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=155255

Not sure if you're in the grand cherokee owners aus facebook page, but if you search for 'hose' there are a few mentions of it (incl. DIY fixes). One post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/jeep...9400652538852/

Post New Thread  Reply