D30 front maintenance - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Technical
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-06-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 31 Times in 27 Posts
Default D30 front maintenance

Pick your brains...
Soon to fit new hubs in my 97 XJ, but whilst apart I'm considering fitting new uni joints to the axles.
Even perhaps new a ball joint kit.
Might as well make a day of it.
Are all The uni joints fitted the same through out?
( two front axles, front drive shaft, and rear tailshaft? )
I found one part# dans-5-760x...
Old 27-06-2020
RustysRocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

5-760X is the axle shaft UJ. It's stronger than what was originally used, and was introduced after Jeep asked Spicer for a stronger UJ for the TJ Rubicon.

The drive shafts are a different UJ which is 5-1310X for the spicer replacements.

Spicer ball joint kit is 706944X which is one upper and one lower.
Old 27-06-2020
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,584 Times in 4,359 Posts

If its not broke, dont try & fix it!
When you remove the axles from the diff, you pull them out through the seals that are inboard next to the diff carrier. When you put the axles back in you risk damaging the seals & they are difficult to replace. If the axle uni joints are ok, best leave them, same goes for the ball joints. If you damage the seals, it will be a weekend job, not a day.
The 5-760 U joints are not listed by Spicer in Australia, only the old original ones. You will not find them at bearing distributors, after market jeep places may have them or some one like Rock Auto, that is ex USA.
Old 27-06-2020
Established Member

Cheers. Got 250k on the clock.
I will check them for play whilst still fitted.
At the moment the noise in the front gets louder as I turn to the right, so guessing the left side is the worst .
Like a small flat spot on tyre vibration noise.
Not obvious through steering wheel so much like a rear uni that is shot.
Old 29-06-2020
Established Member

Cheers Jonny jeep, at 250k...
I'm happy to spend a weekend if that's what it takes..
I'm sure I'm slide the axles back in gently without pinching them through.
Some say " if it ain't broke.. don't fix it"...
Some say "A stitch in time saves nine"....
What a pain in the bum it would be to replace the wheel bearing hubs...
Only to feel/hear the cv/uni joints ...
$100... Just do it!
If those seals do leak after sliding the axles in and out from age/fatigue ...
They where stuffed anyhow...!
I bought new cv uni joints, paid the extra and got decent greasable out seals, $100....
$200 bucks....
WTF! And bugga all extra time to fit.
When your out the back of bumduck.. $200 Is nothing when broken down ...
Everyone I know who says "don't fix it, unless it's broken"....
Rings you to come get them out their shit problem..
Old 29-06-2020
Established Member

Who would replace a clutch without putting a new thrust bearing in....
Guess who...
Post New Thread  Reply