Dc2Dc charger - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-07-2020

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Default Dc2Dc charger

Whilst the Victorian lock down is causing some frustration, I've turned my mind to installing a 150amp inverter to charge a laptop for around town, and a DC2DC charger for the van battery (when it can be pulled out of storage).

As my last vehicle was pre smart alternator, a DC charger wasn't needed and as I've also change the van battery over to a lithium battery its time to step up to modern equipment.

My Grand Cherokee is a 3.0l diesel and I don't want to over stress the alternator (220amps????) but DC2DC chargers range from 20 to 60amps. As the battery is a 150amp, I'm leaning towards a 40amp charger but could this be too much for the alternator. Van has solar but I also run two 60l compressor fridges so making sure their happy when travelling and the battery is fully charged when arriving at the destination is important.

Anyone have experience with these chargers and what would not overly stress the alternator.
Old 22-07-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

I use a drop in battery box that holds a 100a Enerdrive lithium battery - 13 kg and a pleasure to lift in and out.
On top of the battery box sits an Enerdrive 40a DC2DC charger, connected by Anderson plugs to the battery terminals.
The charger runs a lithium profile and I have derated the charger to 30a to minimize the main system load.
The charger is connected to a 140a Piranha isolator fitted down beside the Jeep battery, again with an Anderson extension cable.
Works perfectly and the lithium battery charges much faster than the Fullriver AGM I replaced about 18 months ago.
Simple, and requires nil input from me when we are travelling.
The Enerdrive battery phone app allows me to check the battery state whenever I am in range of the Bluetooth system in the battery.
The package is well worth the money, in my opinion.
John
Old 23-07-2020
Established Member

Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts

I use this in my Caravan running from the WK2 via Anderson
https://www.outbackmarine.com.au/vic...w-non-isolated

Or a bundle with a solar charger https://www.outbackmarine.com.au/vic...-dc-dc-charger

I use this to monitor the 300a/h lithium battery's
https://www.outbackmarine.com.au/vic...-bluetooth-gre

I can be driving and look on my phone via bluetooth and see the state of charging,solar etc.
Brilliant system and cheap

I use 2 of these in the Caravan which run all the 12 volt stuff as well as a split system A/C through an inverter,can free camp and run the A/C for 5 hours without solar or car input,Fantastic system
https://www.solarking.net.au/batteri...-cb-150-12-100
I paid $799 each last month
Old 23-07-2020
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,358 Posts

You must remember that a charger will only be pushing the high amps for a short while and usually only when your battery is really low, normally it really should just be trickle charging, Lithium if you can afford it is the way to go BUT does require a charger specced for lithium, otherwise a Ctek D250s is a pretty good affordable unit with a display not just leds.
My van charges from its solar panels the Jeep only runs the fridge as we drive along.......

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 23-07-2020

Thanks for the responses.

I've been more interested in making sure I don't put too much load on the alternator with the 40 amp charger. As I understand it the lithium batteries take whatever charge until their full. No good putting additional stresses on Jeep components if can be avoided.

'Sunturf' $799 for the 150 amp Solarkings is a great price. Mind sharing the store details?
Old 23-07-2020
Established Member

Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrforever View Post
Thanks for the responses.

'Sunturf' $799 for the 150 amp Solarkings is a great price. Mind sharing the store details?
Here you go,I have removed my details etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	INV00059354-page-0(1).jpg
Views:	0
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	79035  
Old 23-07-2020

Thanks 'Surntuf'. Great price. Buying in bulk has obviously helped the pricing. Their current 150 amp price is $979 so a great saving.
Post New Thread  Reply