New owner of 2006 WH CRD - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-01-2021
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

So today I went to start the jeep and had no power, battery waayyyy down at 4.5v

Couldn’t jump it from my partners dads Ute crank but no start, a bit concerning at first but it just needed time. Bad ass &@$/?&/@-: of a battery.

Running fine now, but I’m wondering what is the issue? Lights, radio etc weren’t left on.

Relay failed in closed position? I checked and confirmed working correctly the fuel pump, starter, a/c clutch, wiper horn and lamp relays.

No codes except related to low voltage.

I left my obd reader plugged in but that draws very little current, hard to believe it would drain this monster of a battery. I’ll make sure not to do that in case somehow JScan got caught looping or something and drew a lot of power.
Old 15-01-2021
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Thats a strange one.
I also leave the obd reader in my daughters WH. No problems so far.
You can check for parasitic draw..

Also, have you considered the Valvoline Max life tranny fluid as recommended by Clarky..
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=136884

Cheers,
Old 15-01-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannabat View Post
So today I went to start the jeep and had no power, battery waayyyy down at 4.5v

Couldn’t jump it from my partners dads Ute crank but no start, a bit concerning at first but it just needed time. Bad ass &@$/?&/@-: of a battery.

Running fine now, but I’m wondering what is the issue? Lights, radio etc weren’t left on.

Relay failed in closed position? I checked and confirmed working correctly the fuel pump, starter, a/c clutch, wiper horn and lamp relays.

No codes except related to low voltage.

I left my obd reader plugged in but that draws very little current, hard to believe it would drain this monster of a battery. I’ll make sure not to do that in case somehow JScan got caught looping or something and drew a lot of power.
Hilarious ! This happened to me this morning -

So today I went to start the jeep and had no power, battery waayyyy down at 3.5V.

I ended up putting in a new battery.

My Jeep had been stuck in the back yard when our heavy rain started and would have torn up the lawn getting it out. Very mushy. So it say for three weeks, I started and ran it once and it was ok, but then it sat for over a week. The battery was three years old and not charging back up very well.
Old 15-01-2021
Senior Newbie

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks for the video Alex, I'm familiar with electronics but not with them in cars so I just sat and stared at it for a while before doing anything lol. I'll have a watch.

Yeah considering that fluid - I saw that Bunnings has valvoline maxlife for $35/4L, which seems like a good idea, cheaper then anywhere else: https://www.bunnings.com.au/valvolin...fluid_p0066164

Fishy dang that's a bummer. When the time comes I'll find a good battery to put in. Not sure how old mine is but it looks to be in great condition on the outside!
Old 17-01-2021
Senior Newbie

Check out my Ride(s)

So either the battery is dying or something is draining it, not sure but it’s down too low to start the car in the mornings.

I’ve checked current draw while disconnecting every fuse and relay. That includes the main relay and fuse box under the hood, the relays in the secondary box next to it (where the spare fuses are), and the fuses on the drivers side - the normal plastic ones and the 3 metal ones.

With the JB Power fuse connected, it’s around 270mA being pulled, then after a couple min it drops to just over 160mA - I guess this is something timing out.

From there, no matter what I pull, I still have 160mA being drawn.

Are these numbers normal? Seems like a lot.

Everything is disconnected except an aftermarket rear camera, but I don’t think that turns on unless the car is in reverse. Unfortunately I haven’t figured out where it connects.

This started the morning after I did the catch can install. During that I didn’t fiddle with any wires but did put one bolt into the wall: https://imgur.com/vLEWu2i

I don’t think there is anything behind it but bc the issue started after this mod I’m suspicious...
Old 17-01-2021
Senior Newbie

Check out my Ride(s)

I just realized, if I push in the little button that senses if the hood is open, my current draw drops to zero

Ooohkay you win this round, jeep.

I guess my issue is a dying battery then! That’s a nice, simple, friendly problem. FFS.
Old 17-01-2021
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

I think a 160ma draw can flatten a battery in about 24 hours.
If you have had your hood open the last few days working on the old girl, or left it up overnight, you may of potentially let the battery get a bit low.

I would put the battery on recharge and get it fully charged up. You may be OK after that.
You can pop past a battery world or one of those and get it checked, and if its caput, you can swap it out while you wait.

Cheers,