Low oil pressure - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-08-2020
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,967 Times in 2,340 Posts

I spent some time trying to sort this out when I got mine, once I had done an oil change myself and measured the fluid in I worked it out...

Now after a run I park it, shut down go and make a coffee then come back pull out dip stick, wipe and replace pull out gently and have a look, it sits on the top line if you add an extra 100ml it will be over.... If I dip it cold remove wipe then dip again and have a look it will be just down a little bit off the full mark but it doesn't take much to make it look very high or low...............

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 24-08-2020
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would of though it if was a oil level problem it would fully disappear after the level was corrected.
I see we all are using the same oil.
The Jeep is now due for its service so I am just going to try the oil brand change.
Its a long shot but hey.
Just ordered the Rotella t6 and will report back.
Old 24-08-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 440 Times in 265 Posts

Rotella is very good oil mate, all I used until supply became very patchy.
Old 24-08-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 573 Times in 294 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I also used it,when it was cheap from the states but the price now is just extortionate, I am running Valvoline mst full synthetic. An oil light coming on every now and then is also what is happening in my bil's WG 4.7. In the old days we used to put a tee adapter in the oil pressure sensor thread and tap off to a gauge. Would be interesting if the oil pressure is actually dropping (not good) or the sensor is slow to start

Off topic a bit but when chasing a low fuel rail pressure circuit low, my diesel mechanic and I put a gauge just before the HP pump to check the fuel pump pressure from the tank (WK2 doesn't use suction feed) and monitored the pressure for nearly an hour to see if it fluctuated, which it didn't

Bob
Old 28-05-2021
AJOR Silver

Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts

Thought I'd jump on this thread and give my experience.

I was getting a intermittent low oil pressure on start up that was shutting down my 2014 diesel engine. After checking oil level etc, I figured it was the pressure sensor playing up, this started happening after I used a oil stop leak additive, so you've been warned...

Funnily enough Repco had the sensor in stock (non Genuine) for $40, so I picked it up and went to work.

The sensor is below the oil filter housing, next to the oil temp sensor under the "S" shape coolent hose to the oil cooler. So you cant get to it from the top or with a deep socket as there is no room.

Disconnect battery!! Then i removed the intake hose and oil filter to suck out excess oil from the housing and replaced it to stop things falling in there.

Next I jacked the front up quite high and used chassis stands to support it. Take the passenger front wheel off as you will need access to a gap in the wheel well to stick your arm through to get to the sensor.

Lie under the car, looking up between the suspension lower wishbone toward the oil filter housing/oil cooler area. you'll see the sensor (slightly lower than the temp sensor). While looking up stick your arm between the wishbone and disconnect the sensor, when done grab a 24mm spanner and loosen the sensor, it is not tight at all, once loose get into the wheel well, poke your arm through the gap into the engine bay and bend up to feel the sensor, once located screw out.

Some oil will drip out so have a pan and rags handy, probably 1/4 of a cup worth. Once sensor is out compare to the new one and make sure it is the same dimensions, my new one looked slightly different on the tip/sensor end, but the rest was the same.

I put a little sealant on the threads and screwed it in, you have to do this by feel from the wheel well. Once hand tight, hop back under and nip up, it does not have to be to tight. Re-attach sensor plug, connect any intake hoses etc, re-connect battery and start up looking for leaks.

Once ok, put wheel back on etc.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by willow; 28-05-2021 at 06:38 PM.
Old 28-05-2021
AJOR Silver

Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts

Old 29-05-2021
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,967 Times in 2,340 Posts

Good write up, hope thats all I have to do on the subject sounds a right pain..

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply