BlueDriver OBD scanner for WJ 4.7? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2021
CrawlerStar

Liked 58 Times in 41 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default BlueDriver OBD scanner for WJ 4.7?

Hey guys,

Anyone using the BlueDriver scanner or any other low cost scanner with their 4.7 WJ?

I've been researching scanners for a couple of days now lol. The BlueDriver seems to be the best option for around the $100 mark. Also looked at the PLX Kiwi and Autel have a DIY option based on their more expensive MD802 called a DiagLink for around $200.

I want it for my current 4.7 WJ but also I'm looking at possibly upgrading to a 4.7/5.7 WH some time in the future. Would also be handy for other cars as well of course.

Looks like the above can all scan and clear codes from multiple computers but there seem to be question marks over what can be scanned on the WJ?

Other than standard engine check light codes, can any of the above scan and clear codes for transmission, ABS, airbag, etc on the WJ? Can any of them cycle the ABS (for fluid bleeding)?

Currently I'm leaning towards the BlueDriver but want to confirm it is fully functional with the WJ 4.7 V8.
Old 03-06-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 290 Times in 211 Posts

The 4.7 is obd2 and therefore most cheaper hand holds can read and clear codes. Depending on how much you spend, the more you do gets other systems code resetting. But generally bi- directional scanners are required to operate things like abs and other modules is at a higher price point, typically tablet style.
Old 05-06-2021
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

I sent an email off to Bluedriver and got the following response.

So essentially they can't guarantee if/how well their device will work with anything pre 2006. Makes sense I guess.

"It's a little more complicated. Different countries began requiring automakers to include OBDII support on their vehicles in different years, for example North America made it mandatory in 1996 and Japan in 2010. Even though most vehicles have an OBDII diagnostic port, the manufacturer may not enable it or load the software required for it to function unless the government of the country where the vehicle is being sold legally requires it.

So for example, if three identical BMWs were built in the same factory in Germany on the same day, but:
1) One was sold in Canada who has required OBDII since 1996, it will have the software and be compatible
2) One was sold in Germany who has required OBDII since 2001, it will have the software and be compatible
3) One was sold in the United Arab Emirates who does not require OBDII, BMW might not install the software and it may not work.

Unfortunately Australia did not adopt the use of the OBDII protocol until 2006 (petrol) and 2007 (diesel) - vehicles sold prior to this date typically use proprietary/manufacturer specific diagnostic systems which are not compatible with BlueDriver.

If your vehicle is OBDII compatible there will be a sticker or plate in the engine bay with a statement along the lines of "OBDII Certified" or "EOBD Compliant"."
Old 05-06-2021
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Boy View Post
The 4.7 is obd2 and therefore most cheaper hand holds can read and clear codes. Depending on how much you spend, the more you do gets other systems code resetting. But generally bi- directional scanners are required to operate things like abs and other modules is at a higher price point, typically tablet style.
Thanks, yeah I figure cycling the ABS will be a dealer only capability.

In another thread I see you've mentioned you use the Autel 802. I assume this is the Autel MaxiDiag Elite MD802? Does this allow cycling the ABS?

Bit above what I wanted to spend at around $500 but I see they have a product called a Autel Diaglink which is only $199, just limited to one manufacturer.

Last edited by Shane001; 05-06-2021 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-06-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 290 Times in 211 Posts

The Autel I own does not have bi-directional capabilities so operation of modules, relays and other inputs it cannot do but it will allow reading and resetting of trouble codes in all the vehicles modules. It is about 7-8 years old and therefore they will likely have added other features to newer versions.
Post New Thread  Reply