American's understanding of ADR - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-10-2021
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default American's understanding of ADR

Hey guys, American here. And a huge XJ fan. We were supposed to move to Australia July of 2020 but my move got postponed indefinitely by COVID, and it's looking like our move is back on again but with a new date of next July in summer... well ya'lls winter of 2022. I've read up on importation rules and had decided all our vehicles will be staying in America and sold. Because of ADR I've read that you guys must have your vehicles tech inspected yearly in some states and in others whenever a vehicle is bought or sold. And that anything that is considered a failure requires extensive testing that is so ridiculous that it pretty much doesn't make it worth the bother. But as I was reading things for purposes of importation in the beginning of the moving process. I found out things get SO MUCH SIMPLER for anything that was manufactured before 1989 because it was before the implementation of ADR. Is this the case as far as registration for a pre-89 vehicle? I had a small and maybe dim lightbulb come on in my head that said you know the MJ Comanche wasn't sold in Australia, and while getting harder to find they are certainly still very findable in the United States if you know where to look and easy to import as long as I get one manufactured before Jan 1st 1989. It's value as a one of a kind vehicle might justify the shipping cost over there. From what I have read online, I know at least one that has made it's way over there. How common are they over there? I'm also worried about what exact specs it would have to have are they as strict inspecting them as a post 89 model year vehicle? Thanks
Old 27-10-2021
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

Depends on which state you are planning to move to as far as mods go? There are a few MJ's come into the country recently as far as ADR I don't know and don't forget we are RHD

Last edited by LuluBelle; 27-10-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 27-10-2021
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 540 Times in 399 Posts

For the most part failures just require a normal fix & take it back to get it signed off.

The only 'extensive testing' is for mods that go outside the ADR's, so you are verifying that it is still safe for on road use & won't be a danger to others. They do tend to err well on the conservative side, however, sothere is scope for mods that go outside the 'normal' limits which require that sort of engineering certification.
Old 27-10-2021
I just registered

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

We went to Australia in 2019 as a vacation when we were considering this opportunity. I drove from Sydney to Melbourne and then down the Ocean Road to Warrnambool and then all the way back to Sydney for our return flight back to Atlanta. After the first day of driving on the left it felt pretty natural. We had the choice between Sydney and Melbourne and we choose Sydney and unless something unexpected happens Sydney is still where were looking to go. As far as where in Sydney were still too far out from that yet. I think that will be better determined closer as we sell our house here in our spring. I like living closer in but the cost is quite expensive there. We live in the outer suburbs of Atlanta and commute in with our ridiculous highway system and lack of public transit isn't for the lighthearted. From what I have seen your your mass transit system coming in from the outer suburbs should be a breeze compared to here. You guys actually put money into public infrastructure and don't fight about the logistics of projects on a level that we do.

OK I was on a rant.. The answer is we're moving to NSW. I'm fully aware it's a right hand drive country. I've emailed transport NSW and they didn't seem to have an issue with a left hand drive vehicle as long as it was made before the 1st of Jan 1989. As it was made before the implementation of ADR. I guess I'm just concerned am I missing something? Am I still going to get hung up in some sort of tech inspection that I didn't understand or miss?
Old 28-10-2021
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

Alrighty, I've seen a few videos of the Commanche, it's basically an XJ ute?
I think you need to be bringing more than 1 of those bad boys over 👍
Old 28-10-2021
I just registered

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

That's exactly what it is. An XJ pickup. Official designation is an MJ. They can be found in 2wd or 4wd with 5 or 6 ft beds. I'm preferable to a 5 ft bed as the longer wheelbase is better on trails and easier to deal with on the tighter roads and parking lots you guys have over there. I would want to do a post 97 interior conversion, which while a pain in the tail it can be done. Another grey area to me is if I found a 2wd and put the components in the vehicle to make it 4wd as the body on those are usually in better shape would this be an issue? In America this is now a common practice conversion as part of the restoration process but in Australia could this be an issue considering the VIN will give it away as a 2WD when it comes time to do a tech inspection even though the parts would all be original and it would be pre 89 before ADR. I can make the change once it gets there with XJ axles. But being left hand drive obviously if I want to do a post 97 dash upgrade I should bring those parts with me if I don't have time to get it accomplished here. While I think the picture is absolutely gorgeous I would try to bring one in stock form and then see what the deal is with tires and such once it gets there. I know there are crazy rules when it comes to tires and lift kits there. IF I can get away with making modifications like that I could have someone over here ship me a lift kit if possible and tires could be sourced locally.

Another idea is for my wife to accept a position in Darwin which is slim to none as there are no positions there... But then I can bring all my cars as the Northern Territiory does not enforce RHD restrictions for personal expat imports. (The only state that doesn't enforce this). If that somehow happens my loaded 2019 pro-4x Nissan Frontier will be on a boat ASAP. (Your d40 Navarra)

Last edited by ExpatXJGuy; 28-10-2021 at 07:02 AM. Reason: forgot photo
Old 28-10-2021
I just registered

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Post New Thread  Reply