XJ 2.5 TD injector no.1 needle sensor repair step by step with pics. - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2021
Senior Newbie

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Gday team. I have found the .08mm wire in a common relay. Hella part # 3081. Plenty of copper wire in there. Im still struggling to wind it perfectly as it keeps bunching up or snapping on me. Tedious job to say the least.
Question:
Does anyone know what else these injectors were used in?
2.5TD range rover? Wondering if they would be the same

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
Old 15-02-2022
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone!
We're also trying to wind one of these injector coils and found 0.08mm wire in wall clock coils (the cheap Chinese wall clock mechanism found everywhere) and have found that it is still too thick! The best we managed was to fit 60 ohms onto the spool.
We tested the injector with the scope on the vehicle and while we saw spikes, the max peak was only around 0.2V... So 60 ohms is not enough. It's still not clear to me what the peak voltage should be, but I assume at least around 3-4V.
I've now purchased a 48V OMRON G2R-1-E-48DC relay to try again, but I have not yet measured the wire inside it. However, the entire relay coil is supposed to have around 4kOhm resistance so it's looking promising.
I will post an update if we have any success with this one.

Cheers!
Old 16-02-2022
Senior Newbie

Well done. Hope it works out.
.08 is definitely too thick to fit inside the hole unless you can bunch it nicely without it breaking on you. Very frustrating as this injector is enough to cripple a good Jeep. I managed to source an injector from a wrecked 2.5td. Hard to find!
The guy only wanted $100 for it too.
Any ideas where we can find thinner wire? I reckon .06 thk would be ideal.

Or, if youre up sh*t creek and cant get this injector sorted theres a mod you can do to change the fuel pump to mechanical cable drive. Looks like an awesome mod if anyone has any experience with this please share.

Cheers

Old 16-02-2022
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Tom,

.08 didn't fit even when wound nicely. The wire in the relay mentioned above was actually around 0.045mm and it fit nicely, in the end the coil is even smaller than factory wound, so yes, I assume 0.06 is the way to go. It seems that a 36v relay would have in theory that thickness of wire.
Anyway, we managed to wind the 0.045 and obtained 105 ohms and today we will try to fit the injector on the car.
The issue is that we bought the car non-running and the no.1 injector wasn't even on the car. It was a regular injector. The fuel pump is also cable driven. I am led to believe that this was also an option. A cable driven pump that still had this injection timing scheme. So basically we won't be able to tell for sure if there isn't another underlying problem.
If it works, I'll post some pictures and tips on how we wound the coil.

Bye,
Istvan
Old 27-02-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 98 Times in 65 Posts

.06 is correct. i also thought .08 was the correct size and the i cleaned the micrometer and found it to be .06. From memory the amount of .08 wire required to achieve the resistance range for the injection far exceeds the amount to can fit on the bobbin. i cant remember where i picked mine up from but from memory there were shops that stocked scientific products that stocked .06 wire.

im onto maybe my third iteration of building a machine that can rewind those coils. getting the precision required is a bit of a trick but ive got a coil now wound that im going to test in the car this week.

its a bit unfortunate that by design those coils and their thin wire seem prone to failure. im yet to figure out a way to engineer around that.
Old 21-05-2022
Senior Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud_slut View Post
.06 is correct. i also thought .08 was the correct size and the i cleaned the micrometer and found it to be .06. From memory the amount of .08 wire required to achieve the resistance range for the injection far exceeds the amount to can fit on the bobbin. i cant remember where i picked mine up from but from memory there were shops that stocked scientific products that stocked .06 wire.

im onto maybe my third iteration of building a machine that can rewind those coils. getting the precision required is a bit of a trick but ive got a coil now wound that im going to test in the car this week.

its a bit unfortunate that by design those coils and their thin wire seem prone to failure. im yet to figure out a way to engineer around that.
I used 2 drills with the right size drillbit to wind mine on but the problem is that you need to count each turn and wind it on like your garden hose so it needs to be done slow and without breaking of corse - very hard. The amount of labour required to repair this you may aswell find another injector or convert the fuel system over. Or in my case - dont water blast the near the fuel system [emoji854]

Does anyone know if converting the fuel pump to manual will mess with the immobilizer?

Old 21-05-2022
Senior Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by istimat View Post
Hi Tom,

.08 didn't fit even when wound nicely. The wire in the relay mentioned above was actually around 0.045mm and it fit nicely, in the end the coil is even smaller than factory wound, so yes, I assume 0.06 is the way to go. It seems that a 36v relay would have in theory that thickness of wire.

Anyway, we managed to wind the 0.045 and obtained 105 ohms and today we will try to fit the injector on the car.

The issue is that we bought the car non-running and the no.1 injector wasn't even on the car. It was a regular injector. The fuel pump is also cable driven. I am led to believe that this was also an option. A cable driven pump that still had this injection timing scheme. So basically we won't be able to tell for sure if there isn't another underlying problem.

If it works, I'll post some pictures and tips on how we wound the coil.

Bye,

Istvan
Hey Istvan

That is strange mate, looking forward to seeing these photos on how you wound the coil. Wouldnt mind seeing some pics of your fuel pump set up too.
Do you have a plug for the #1 injector sensor? What year is your xj?

Nice work, you got so close with 105ohms! Do you think that winding the .045 wire longer (say 1000 turns) may give less ohms?

Cheers
Tom

Post New Thread  Reply