2013 CRD no power, no codes - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-04-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 691 Times in 386 Posts

Is it a hard limiter at 2k (as in, revs freely up til that point then ECU seems to cut in and hold it there) or does it just seem to run out of puff?

Only other thoughts are something throttle related (position sensor?) or the ECU could be buggered or need a reflash.

Any insights from the previous owner/where you picked it up?

Old 14-04-2022

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 38 Times in 16 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Previous owner is no longer available (gone overseas). Apparently it started acting up after a flat battery and was parked. Broken english so hard to get any real details.

It will rev over 2k, but very slowly. It is very dependent on load/road grade. Downhill it will rev over 3k and get to 50km/h, but the engine is doing very little work. On a flat road it gets to ~25, struggles to hit 30, but will then change to the next gear and get a little boost to around 35-40 which it can hold as long as the road is flat. Uphill it struggles to hold 2k and will drop speed depending on how steep - seems to crawl at 10km/h even at the steepest.

If it's going to be a black hole to throw parts at, I'll cut my losses and resell it. It was meant to be a quick fix-up.
Old 14-04-2022
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 79 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Same symptoms I had with my WH when the turbo actuator failed.
It's funny that it's not giving you a code.
Have you tried disconnecting the battery and starting again?

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
Old 14-04-2022
Full Flexer

Ditto on it being bloody odd that there's no codes. That, in combination with what you said about the issues starting after a flat battery, lead me to think the ECU has been friend in the process of trying to get it going again (I'm not a sparky though, so purely guessing). I imagine if it was another control module that cooked, you'd be getting error codes. In saying that, if the ECU fried, I imagine the issues list would be longer/the vehicle wouldn't run at all

I wouldn't give up yet - as Farwest said, it could be something simple.

I'm not Sydney-based so can't offer a list of recommendations near you, but GDL Automotive in the northern beaches know their GCs. Might be worth giving them a ring and/or getting it trailered over there

Old 14-04-2022

Liked 38 Times in 16 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I thought ECU, but AlfaOBD module query all comes back ok. Everything shows values that you would expect.

I've deliberately caused codes (disconnected sensors, etc) to double-check that I was getting a reading and that they matched what I expected. That all seemed fine.

Local mechanic just dropped the fuel filters and they smelt more like petrol and were completely black. New filters ordered, will be here Tuesday. Only 1/8th tank left, so thinking that we fill the tank with diesel and see if anything improves. I couldn't find a drain on the tank anywhere, and dropping it looks like it's a PITA.
Old 14-04-2022
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
I thought ECU, but AlfaOBD module query all comes back ok. Everything shows values that you would expect.

I've deliberately caused codes (disconnected sensors, etc) to double-check that I was getting a reading and that they matched what I expected. That all seemed fine.

Local mechanic just dropped the fuel filters and they smelt more like petrol and were completely black. New filters ordered, will be here Tuesday. Only 1/8th tank left, so thinking that we fill the tank with diesel and see if anything improves. I couldn't find a drain on the tank anywhere, and dropping it looks like it's a PITA.
Fingers crossed that's the issue. I would've thought you'd be getting other symptoms if it was filled with petrol, but maybe the ratio's just bad enough, but not too bad.

If you can get to an autoparts store the filters are commonly stocked. If petrol has been in, I'd want to brim it with diesel and start running it through the lines and pumps ASAP to help stop any corrosion issues.

Old 14-04-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,977 Times in 2,348 Posts

I'm with La Cheese, its a strange one, does sound like its stuck in Low, fan roaring and the other stuff with no codes makes me think the ECU thinks its doing something normal ............ very much doubt petrol.
Disconnect battery if its only been recharged and not replaced, maybe a battery test as the battery can really cause weird things, disconnect and reconnect the TCM while battery disconnected to make sure its cleared............. just stabs in the dark but clearing a memory that held in TCM, ECU or the others makes for a clean slate, of course a few minutes disconected is needed not just unplug replug as they do hold a charge for a few minutes or more.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 15-04-2022 at 07:15 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply