Steering wk2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2022

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Steering wk2

Hi All,
Got a new set of wheels and tyres fitted to my 14 overland with air suspension. King Hurricane 18/9inch with Cooper Rugged treks 265/65/18. Love the look and quite snug, although driving home from the tyre shop and I noticed a subtle pull to the left. I didn’t think a lot of it, although when my wife went to pick up the kids from school it happened twice to her also but to the right. It feels like someone quickly pulls the steering left or right but it’s not the steering wheel. I called them to tell them what was happening and the wife took it back and explained what was going on and they looked at her like she had no idea. They did another wheel alignment and said that nothing was wrong with it. I had driven home tonight and took if for a better drive and it is definitely jerking around. It feels like it is in the back wheels crab left and right if that makes sense. I will take it back in the morning to see what they can do, although wanted to see if anyone knew what It could be? No game enough to take it on the highway, as it feels like a show ride when it does it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-05-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts

Sounds like its ( Tram-lining ) does it feel like its got a mind of its own like its stuck in a groove on the road and wants to follow that , could be a number of things, I would be inclined to throw your original wheels back on, even the front two and take it for a run, if its perfect again you then know its the new tyres or the excessive offset on the new wheels is causing you issues.
In regards to the wheel alignment, seeing how they have had two goes at getting it right, forget about keep taking it back to them, find someone who does it correct first up, No Excuses for any vehicle not to Track straight with all the flash fandango electronic alignment gear, if it dont it all comes down to user error
Old 06-05-2022

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks olmate,
Yeah you have summed it up pretty well. It kind of grabs whatever way it is going the let’s go? Sounds funny saying that but that’s what it feels like. Agree I will try someone else. Just annoying when you spend that much money and they don’t get it right!
Old 06-05-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 389 Times in 218 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

When they do the next wheel alignment make sure the vehicle’s air suspension is set to wheel alignment mode on the EVIC & the transmission is in sports mode with the aero mode (lowers the front) displayed on the dash.

Cheers
Old 07-05-2022

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks guys,
Tr Laredo, they had it in wheel alignment mode when they did this but said nothing about sports mode etc. I will tell them to do this. I also didn’t realise it needed to be in sports mode. He did mention that the wheel alignment was different when he did it the second time, he just blamed the air suspension and said it was a jeep.
Old 07-05-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 4,012 Times in 2,366 Posts

If they haven't set the suspension up properly before doing the align it won't be right, I think its in the glove box book, not sure as I don't have it BUT I doubt it would cause wander from various wheels, back align will be constant one side or another.........

I had a look at a pic of the Coopers and while they don't look overly aggressive I can imagine being coopers they have a deep tread, if you can measure them and they are more than say 12mm I would say its the deep tread walking you around, what tyre pressure you running ????
Rear walking was the clincher for me.

A deep tread can cause a bit of understeer or oversteer in corners and going straight it can wander, road surface and tyre pressure make it a lucky dip, higher psi helps lots and in awhile it will vanish as you wear the edge off the tread...... Have been told Coopers can walk around a it at first, it can be quite scary I found.

Anytime someone say Its a Jeep I never return ...

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 07-05-2022 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-05-2022

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

So it turns out they installed a 265/60/18 on the rear left tyre. ApparentlyThe sticker said a 265/65 to match the rest. The car is driving how it should which I am happy with. Not sure if that would do any damage to the diff etc as I driven possibly 10/15km.
Appreciate the help
Post New Thread  Reply