WK2 EGR Removal - Page 8 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2022
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 276 Times in 149 Posts

Thanks for the updates. The Jeep has a solid pipe on front from cooler to block. What a cracker of a way to tap the lower block to remove all coolant as the side story. Will just make a set of 2 blanks and insert and report back. I would remove the lot and get the $80 eBay kit I found but I did read somewhere that the three bolts post turbo where a blank is placed may result in broken stud and there for a world of hurt follows as I am told engine out.
Old 06-06-2022
CrawlerStar

Liked 201 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDingo View Post
I have his EGR diffuser pipe plates bought several years ago. Takes about 5 mins to install. I don't remember them being that expensive though. Quality piece of kit. Didn't have the cooler block off plates back then.
They used to seperate that kit. I purchased the EGR to Inlet block off plates after I installed my tune. I then later purchased the coolant block off plates when I was doing the hose from hell job. I decided not to fit at the time though.

I still have them in glovebox just in case
Old 07-06-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 305 Times in 191 Posts

Just a photo for anyone's reference in case interested
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220606_121844_resized_1.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	79732  
Old 07-06-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 4,016 Times in 2,369 Posts

If I get a small Lotto win an EGR delete will be on the cards, big Lotto win I buy a Chevy 2500 or something I think.............

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 10-06-2022
CrawlerStar

Liked 276 Times in 149 Posts

For info if you want to change the EGR coolant hose and/or DIY seals for the cooler itself. Here is a few pointers and a pic or two to make life a tad easy. First, before you attempt this, the removal of the intermediate firewall is a must. Without this part, it will be impossible to get to the coolant hose and difficult to remove cooler. There are tutorials. Second time around and takes about fifteen minutes. You need to do this for rear turbo hose and oil cooler coolant hoses so well worth a practice teardown.

Once firewall removed, I found a Ram video on how to lift off the EGR cooler off to replace the 6 seals. With the firewall off you have very easy access to remove the EGR exhaust tube intake held by 2 bolts and a Torx 40 bolt hidden under this joint. One vacuum line. Wire harness disconnect. 3 obvious nuts holding the unit down and then it’s lift the cooler itself off its mount for refurbishing of all seals. Surprisingly easy to do.

What really got me was with all this off is how do mechanics replace that rear right angle coolant hose which mates to the lower EGR mount. So off with the 2 x 2 sets of bolts holding front and rear entry and exit points for the coolant points into lower EGR mount and then remove the EGR mount by a further three mounting bolt 3/8 drive and 13m socket and that frame lifts out. Careful as you have a rear seal and a front gasket plate to recover.

So finally I am looking at the coolant hose and you guessed it, the lower spring clamp out of easy reach. A lot of patience and hose is out. What a prick of a location. The good news is there is nothing to hard about this and you will loose about 1 litre of coolant at the most as you would have already drained the radiator prior to this.

I intend to just clean up the EGR cooler and install a front blank plate and note the coolant pipe to EGR mount is a solid pipe to lower block so movement is limited. I have some spare 4mm alloy so will see if that will fit flush he if not drop in a thinner slice. As for the rear, I have spare heater hose so a straight short blank section will go in and be done with the right angle hose and plastic coupler to the lower EGR mount. Finish tomorrow and a couple of pics. Hose is in average to okay condition but no way is that going back in at near nine years old. Yes, I am close to installing a full blanking kit but there is no way I will attempt to remove the three rear bolts off the back of the turbo as I can’t easily get to them and a few have reported snapping bolts (engine out to fix) so by putting all back inoperative is the safe course here. Even with the EGR delete tune, the ECU still needs to see the EGR cooler hence another reason to put back whole.

Last edited by Mousie; 10-06-2022 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-06-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 4,016 Times in 2,369 Posts

Thanks for that @Mousie, I don't think my old hands would handle it anymore so i certainly hope I don't have to go there.........

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 16-06-2022
Senior Newbie

Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hi Gents, I am interested in doing an EGR delete but balking at the cost of getting it done via a tuner.

A couple of questions.

If you do the ECU reflash and delete, is there any need to install blanking plates ? Would the valve staying shut take care of it ?

Does anyone know if you can get the files off the internet and reflash it yourself, using AlphaOBD ?

I'm really only after the Delete and not really after extra power, as fuel economy is my main goal.

Robbo
Post New Thread  Reply