Who wouldn't fit a catch can! - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-05-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 689 Times in 385 Posts

Dingo and Jeeper have hit the nail on the head - more cost and complexity to both produce and service, likely reduced emissions ratings (due to additional oil and filter needing to be disposed of), and more to go wrong with no gain for the manufacturer or requirement for them to do so. Maths doesn't add up, particularly when your focus isn't on longer-term (15+ years) reliability.

Old 30-05-2022
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The CC is a no brainer for me. Mechanic at All GC told me at the last major service (104k) the intake and EGR were squeaky clean. I usually find a very minor amount of dry soot on the MAP sensor when I check it once a year. It's not magic, the catch can does its job. 6 monthly oil and filter changes, and maintaining the can including opening the drain tap occasionally is as easy as yawning.
Old 31-05-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bad4u View Post
Well I must be in the minority (here). It seems to me that the only people who fit catch cans are “car enthusiasts” who belong to forums like this one. I reckon for every catch can fitted there would be 100s/1000s without one. Neither of my cars have a catch can and over the life of my ownership I don’t think it would make a difference.
i have never used a catch can on any of my diesels but then again i do about 40,000km a year country driving .
Old 31-05-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,975 Times in 2,347 Posts

Horses for courses I suppose, my diesels never do city/town stuff but when I looked at my old WG's MAP sensor I thought yucky, then when a mate pulled his manifolds off his Pajero, I knew fitting a can was a good idea...... since then the MAPs on all my vehicles is mostly just sooty not claggy goop.... the savings in sensor cleaner alone has paid for the can, mind I buy a cheapy and do my own mod but a sensor clean each service is just a quick squirt not a drowning to get it clean... a clean sensor makes all the difference for fuel burn, Soot Oven burn and heaps of other things....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 20-06-2022

Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

What brand / type of catch can would you mob recommend ??

For the 3.0 l Eco diesel.

If an EGR system suddenly stopped working by itself, a catch can was fitted and then the manifold was cleaned out.

Would that result in a long life motor ?

I've also wondered if crankcase oil vapour actually is a good valve lubricant ?

I'm talking about in a soot free environment.

Robbo
Old 20-06-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,975 Times in 2,347 Posts

If you delete the EGR and stop the soot, no drama really with oily vapour, the aim is to stop one of them.....

My thing with the Provent is the sump air comes in at the top, the engine draws air from the bottom where the oil drains from the filter surely recontaminating the air.. yet if eng draws from the top of the can the oil drained from the filter is at the bottom along with the intake from sump and only filtered air is drawn into the engine........
Anyone have a plausable explanation ?????
Or show me where my theory is wonky, the excuse that people with degrees designed it doesn't float with me one bit though.

When I made my own can I had the feed in near the bottom with the engine drawing from the top so it had to go thru the filter medium, keeping all the oil at the bottom. With the Provent your sucking the air and oil from the bottom....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 20-06-2022
CrawlerStar

Liked 126 Times in 78 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo1 View Post
What brand / type of catch can would you mob recommend ??

For the 3.0 l Eco diesel.

If an EGR system suddenly stopped working by itself, a catch can was fitted and then the manifold was cleaned out.

Would that result in a long life motor ?

I've also wondered if crankcase oil vapour actually is a good valve lubricant ?

I'm talking about in a soot free environment.
Hi, I installed the Flashlube unit about 30k ago. No probs from day one..
I'd recommend it, and Wesfil do filters for them..
Cheers