Scrap at 49,000 kms - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-04-2022
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,975 Times in 2,347 Posts

On any All Wheel Drive the tyres must match in type and wear, been the case for donkeys, if you blow one and the rest are 1/4 worn or about 5mm difference in size or more its replace the lot or you can end up screwing things up big time.... one wheel rotating at a different rate means the extra movement has to be taken up/absorbed somewhere, in the dirt it slides on tar it screws things............ depending on vehicle some have larger tolerance than others but tyre size is still in single digit mm. So tyre rotation regularly and match is a must, rotate mine every 5K and tread depth is within 2mm, I DiY but its more for making the rubber last longer as I tow a lot and the back ones wear way quicker........

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 07-07-2022
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts

Sorry but the worn tyre thing is basically crap IMO - there will be FAR greater variations in rotational speeds caused by fairly small differences in tyre pressures - as well as caused by travelling anything other than absolutely dead straight line etc.

BUT - to be clear here, I'm talking about the same type and brand of tyres on all four corners. Different sizes between sides or between front and rear would definitely be a very bad idea. Using different brands of the same size SHOULD work but even I would be sceptical of taking the risk - altho theoretically, like Ive said the variations caused by other factors should still come close to being greater.

Last edited by Trailfirst; 07-07-2022 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-07-2022
MonsterMoose

Nowadays its more to do with the electronics trying to adjust for the apparent slip it see's, hence the odd diff and TC problems where as in the old days it was only an issue if one axle had different sizes and you had lockers.

Old 08-07-2022
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,157 Times in 612 Posts

I have read the odd blog where a bloke has fitted just 2 new tyres on one axle to his AWD Jeep and wondered why the transfer case has gone bang...seriously?

When I bought this Jeep, I asked the seller if the spare was the same as the other 4 as he had fitted different wheels and tyres.
He said no, but he said the tyre bloke told him that if he was to get a flat and had to put the spare on then it shouldn't hurt too much if he only had a short way to go to get a repair...lol.

You have to wonder what school of loons the tyre fitter wen to.

Then I couldn't get an exact match tyre to go on the matching mag wheel I bought to replace the spare, therefore atm I can't do tyre rotations to include the spare...so in the short term until i replace the tyres, if there is a need to put the spare on and the difference in diameter is 5mm or more I'll be dropping the air out a few psi to try to get a similar rotation anyway until able to fix properly.
Old 08-07-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 303 Times in 189 Posts

I will have to check the tyres sizes on missus GC as I went up in size for some Falken AT3W's and got a spare AT that was as close as I could get to the that size and just fits in the spare tyre well in boot. Missus had a puncture and I changed the spare and went and got the new tyre repaired. She rang saying the car was making funny noises and I think the transfer case was not happy. I really can't remember as it has been a few years now but the diameter difference was only a couple of mm I think.
Old 08-07-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 440 Times in 265 Posts

They come with a different sized spare tyre on a steel rim from the factory, although the outside diameter is the same as those on the the alloy wheels on the vehicle.
Old 08-07-2022
MonsterMoose

I only rotate 4, be nice if the spare was on an alloy rim as 5 makes for easier rotation, one lift at a time .................. The WK2's come with a different sized tyre on a steel rim as spare, same LR and the circumference is close enough to whats on the road....................
Using this calculator shows the difference in size and approx weight of various sized tyre/wheel combo's, also great to see if bigger stuff will fit in the hole............ https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

I would like another alloy rim so I could eventually do the 5 wheel rotate.

Post New Thread  Reply