Ukraine war influences spare parts supply heavily. - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-07-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Be careful,
the Grand Cherokee. Production line was sold completely to China.
A lot of cheap aftermarket parts are produced in China. They are easy to recognize.
1. They are unbelievable cheap.
2. Companies like Dormann like to sell them.

I do have a good example the upper joint for the rear is sold by Mopar at a price tag of 109€. Dormann sells this part for 49€. In between you will find anything between 49 and 110. But for 49€ you can bet it will not last a year before you have to replace again.
In my personal experience I found that this stiff rubber will last a lot longer than that squishy one.
I do look for the country of origin. I had a steering linkage from China in my hands- it‘s a lot lighter than OE. Not for me. Don‘t get me wrong. I don‘t like to bash on brands- but it‘s pretty obvious. By cutting corners, you can produce cheaper.
Thing is that I still don‘t get why some components are absolutely unavailable. E.G.: Alternator by Bosch, generator regulator and so on.
Old 28-07-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post
Be careful,
the Grand Cherokee. Production line was sold completely to China.
A lot of cheap aftermarket parts are produced in China. They are easy to recognize.
1. They are unbelievable cheap.
2. Companies like Dormann like to sell them.

I do have a good example the upper joint for the rear is sold by Mopar at a price tag of 109€. Dormann sells this part for 49€. In between you will find anything between 49 and 110. But for 49€ you can bet it will not last a year before you have to replace again.
In my personal experience I found that this stiff rubber will last a lot longer than that squishy one.
I do look for the country of origin. I had a steering linkage from China in my hands- it‘s a lot lighter than OE. Not for me. Don‘t get me wrong. I don‘t like to bash on brands- but it‘s pretty obvious. By cutting corners, you can produce cheaper.
Thing is that I still don‘t get why some components are absolutely unavailable. E.G.: Alternator by Bosch, generator regulator and so on.
I agree with what u r saying... you do get what u pay for. I just had a look on Quadratec... heaps of alternators available for GC on their website. Might be a bit exxy but I was quoted (few yrs ago now) $1200 for an alternator for the JKU when I got one from Quadratec delivered to my door for about $500Aus.

Mopar does sell the same items as Omix-Ada and Crown but rebranded as Mopar and then sell them at a huge mark up.... items r exactly the same thing and from same factories.

Some USA top General was saying on the TV a day or so ago how China has become this world power militarily, monetarily, politically, trade wise etc. I wonder why? Perhaps the USA (and Australia) should become less reliant on China for the cheap imports they want, pay their own workers proper wages and restore their manufacturing capacities locally, instead of enabling China by pouring mega billions of dollars into them for product manufacturing.

Even in the good ol USA, two days ago Steve Bannon was calling for 4000 shock troops to attack and clear out the Washington public service (for his own Republican suite of staff instead).China (and Russia) can only be as active and aggressive on the world stage as they have become because the liberal democracies of the world have dropped the ball and allowed and enabled this to happen. The yanks, lord bless them, still dont realise how close Trump brought them to civil war.... and it still might happen.

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 28-07-2022 at 09:24 AM.
Old 28-07-2022
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,591 Times in 4,361 Posts

The war is being blamed for lots of things.
I suspect manufacturers have worked out that by restricting supply, they can jack up the price & make more money with less work.
Just look at new car prices.
Old 28-07-2022
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
The war is being blamed for lots of things.
I suspect manufacturers have worked out that by restricting supply, they can jack up the price & make more money with less work.
Just look at new car prices.
I dont necessarily disagree with you but what the war really shows is the extent to which countries world wide have become so dependent on just a few countries manufacturing and growing etc what the world needs.And all in the name of saving dollars and maximising profits for the worlds billionaires. '

But most of the current supply problems have come about because of COVID, a creation of the Chinese. COVID has decimated worforces worldwide, temporarily and I suspect permanently.In Italy 800 doctors died in the first 6 months of the Covid pandemic. Can you imagine what that does...

In Australia and wherever I have been in the last 12 months, service providers can't get staff because of temporary and permanent sickness effects associated with COVID. They eventually have no choice but to shut up shop.

In some of the outback towns I visited on the up north trip I was seeing shops staffed by pensioners almost exclusively because there was no one else. They loved it, but it does help to circumscribe a problem that is very real and that is going to take a long time to fix. I was constantly asked if I wanted a job for a few days.

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 28-07-2022 at 09:25 AM.
Old 28-07-2022
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farwest View Post
Sometimes dry humour doesnt translate in text...apologies if I offended...never my intention
Cool with it.

Re "Professor".... this is a working title for people usually in the academy and at the top of the tree so to speak with leadership roles in research, writing, management, administrative, supervision, grant acquisition etc. all of which I am now well and truly out of and THANK F****** GOD for that too.

The title Professor usually is not held permanently after one leaves such roles but some people hang onto it because I guess it gives them some measure of importance and relevance. It matters not to me. Sometimes a university may permit a person to maintain the Professor title and use it in association with the University name but this is extremely rare. Some may also be nominated as an Emeritus Professor for a short period after leaving a university.

The title "Doctor" on the other hand can be different.

The historical use of "Doctor" was by those who were medical doctors and this tradition goes back centuries. It was a self appointed title applied by the various medical and surgical colleges around the world. But doctors of medicine only have 2 undergraduate degrees, so the use of the title by such graduates is somewhat inflated. Nowadays, as dollars and prestige rules as driving forces in universities, you can now be titled Doctor if you are a toe cutter. I mean, really!!! Or an occupational therapist. This title is bestowed by a university faculty, or discipline or school and is relatively low grade on the list of university awards. The title, used in these senses is about as meaningful and useful as shit on toilet paper, in my opinion.

Now to the real title "Doctor". This is associated with the award by a University of the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (abbreviated PhD).To earn this award you would normally have completed an undergraduate degree and a Master Degree or their equivalents. To be awarded the Doctor of Philosophy degree, you must complete an entirely original research thesis that adds uniquely to the unique body of knowledge of the area you are researching.

The PhD thesis is assessed independently by at least 3 internationally acknowledged experts in the field external to the university (as it was in my time) which means that it is a very big deal to be awarded a doctorate. In my time only about 2% of a university's graduates in any one year would be awarded a PhD. It is now about 10% as every person and their dog can get one.... money and benchmarks speak in universities too, nowadays.

A big difference is that a PhD is awarded by and can only be awarded by, a University; that is, it is a University level award as opposed to one awarded at faculty or department or School level. The award is bestowed by University Council, the highest ruling body of a university and that is set up by the University's Act of Parliament which gives it the power to exist and be self regulating. A PhD, because of this Act of Parliament, is the only university title that lasts the lifetime of the recipient and that legally entitles the recipient to always be referred to as Doctor. This is not the same as for other self nominated "doctors" who aren't really doctors in this most ancient academic sense of the word.

Boring I know

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 28-07-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Old 28-07-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

It‘s even worse with food over here. There is still plenty, but every now and then you‘ll find a huge gap in the shelve.
Oil and flour mainly in the shortage. If available prices have doubled or the country of origin is also doubtful like turkey. I do not support Erdogans funky politics.