What Rear diff do i have ? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 74 Times in 68 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzaWA View Post
My '04 WG have exactly the same diff as you Zappa916, part number is a perfect match and even looks the same.... the magnet test proves that mine is an aluminium centre housing (44A does represent aluminium).
The 44A is what we have in the 2.7 CRD, the 44HD is for the V8's.

My build sheet shows:
Build code DMD: Axle Ratio - 3.55;
Build code DRK: Axle - Rear, Dana 44/226MM;

Parts list for '02 & '04 WG has Dana 44M in the image, however axle housing P/N is listed as 05093060AA, not the 52104597AC stamped on our diff's.
The P/N 05093060AA appears to be the 3.73 for the VM 3.1, whereas our 3.55 P/N 52104597AC is spec'd for the MB 2.7

See http://d44tech.com/Dana_44A.html for a comparison between 44 and 44A

From Drovers parts list:
"REAR AXLE BEARINGS:
Diff:..Dana 44A...........44/226mm...........Timken Set 31...plus Oil Seal Timken 2146........Aussie bearing shops may show nil listing so you want a Timken Bearing NP182140-904A1 with a lock ring K35961. Show them this pic to prove it. Numbers are confirmed as they are on mine, bought from Rockauto - AU$155.40 for 2 sets including freight. Genuine is AU$550 each side."
AU$129 via Amazon
I did my rear bearings with this exact Timken Set 31 about 5 years ago. No problem at all.
I am just about to order this off Rockauto. I found the Set31 but I am missing the Oil seal 2146. Did you mean 21460? And is this for the axle or for the outer pinion oil seal? Or where does this seal belong to? I have taken my old Dana44A apart and I could not find any kind of oil seal on the axle.

However I could see a kind of gasket seal where the differential carrier feeds into the axle tube. It was very brittle and redish and Initially I thought this is just gasket. And since it just goes around the gap anyway and does not prevent any sealing so I was wondering that it is doing there.
Old 09-01-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 74 Times in 68 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Funny, I just went and had a closer look again. I know now what you mean and funny things is, that I even found it on Rockauto.
When I searched for it, nothing came up. However when I browsed manually I suddenly found it. It was a bit hidden within the subcategory.

Nonetheless, thanks a lot for this info, made my search much easier.